Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Do I Know If I'm Any Good?

Andym0908

Originally posted by OutJet:

I agree with most of the others here...

I think of it this way...

How good am I? Not as good as I'll be after I practice some more.

bingo -

Make sure you're having fun practicing. Because when it becomes a job, it might turn into WORK rather than art!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by gangsu:

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

.... flirting with the waitresses (and occasionally getting lucky) ....a day job (steel mill) to support a wife and two kids....

darn it all Dave, you shouldn't have gone and said that. While I have found your attitude to be mildly aggravating in the past, it's nothing compared to my present revulsion. Eeessshh.
I compressed a fair amount of time in that post - I got married very young and divorced very young and was single for 15 years or so before I remarried, but thanks for taking a nonjudgemental stance just the same.

:cool:

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by gangsu:

.... flirting with the waitresses (and occasionally getting lucky) ....a day job (steel mill) to support a wife and two kids....

darn it all Dave, you shouldn't have gone and said that. While I have found your attitude to be mildly aggravating in the past, it's nothing compared to my present revulsion. Eeessshh.
Hmmmm, so Dave has multilateral loathing? :D

Blue collar shmoe and arrogant elitist rolled into one!

Amateur Hack

I compressed a fair amount of time in that post - I got married very young and divorced very young and was single for 15 years or so before I remarried, but thanks for taking a nonjudgemental stance just the same.

:cool:

You're welcome! I acted out of pure generosity. Normally I'd have offered a polite excuse and disappeared months ago. :D

Hey, you must know by now that you're a cocky bastard. (ask your wives :idea: ). I might consider that a compliment, but as regards your thoughts on proper musicality and bus driving not to mention that gosh-darned reverberating P250 I mean for crissake ARRGGG I find you particulary calculating and rehearsed and very much lacking in freespiritedness, which is a sorely needed quality if you intend to go around playing the cocky bastard. You just don't keep my musical attention! But no personal harm intended. I wouldn't be so judgemental if i didn't think you couldn't handle it. double negatives and all. And actually, I do find some of your OT comments quite entertaining, and genuinely funny.

Marino, cheerio means goodbye. Did you mean to say Cheers?

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

You just don't keep my musical attention!
Oh no, now I'll never have a restful sleep.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Well like others have said, "how good" is really an ambiguous question . . . music has value to both the player and the listener. And the value is different for different listeners, for example audience members as opposed to your fellow band members. Sometimes the band appreciates you a lot more than your audience, sometimes vice-versa.

How valuable your music is to yourself is measured by much fun you're having and I suppose how much you're giving up by being a musician, which can be a hell of a lot for people (standard of living, children, spouse(s), hearing . . .)

Originally posted by bearded yeti:

you are all suck!

In a grammatical syntaxical :D sense?

Originally posted by shniggens:

Hmmmm, so Dave has multilateral loathing? :D

Blue collar shmoe and arrogant elitist rolled into one!

I missed this post the first time around. You have to admit Dave, this poster is linguistically pretty sharp.( a little harsh perhaps. :D did I say that?)
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by Floyd Tatum:

Originally posted by Sir Jeebus:
Jeebus, that JesusLand avatar of yours really cracks me up!

It's amazing how simple cartoons and jokes can sometimes pierce right to the heart of an issue.

Thanks, to both you and Dave for appreciating the avatar. I thought it was hilarious too.

I have a new avatar now, so for those who haven't seen it, here you go...

http://homepage.mac.com/echohaus/.Pictures/neworder.jpg

This is just my current thought...hehe. Just be yourself.....playing other peoples music is a dead end rut to being "you" IMHO so maybe you should only play original "who you are" music for a while and find yourself in it. Get a drum, get naked, join in a circle of aware souls! Dance, sing...I could care less if I can sound like someone else...I don't look like someone else and I don't want to sound like someone else....not that a few lessens would kill me;-)

Learn to talk...then say your own words....

Notice that the basic summery of formulas in electricity is the same as the circle of fifths, with OHMs law in the middle....in the middle of that there is + & -, yin & yang, I & AM, and the rest is just a flow.....unless you stop moving and are still.....not a bad idea BTW. It's the calender! fire, air, earth, water....or winter, spring, summer, fall, the twelve signs of the Zodiac....or the twelve months of the year...same pattern, same feeling! on/off on/off over and over as long as you move.....it's all about time.

It's just a feeling...and there are no rules

Long live the EGGMAN!

The Walrus was here, and now I'm here.....talking to myself through space and time.

Weird, but true....

John^^

Originally posted by John Hendry:

This is just my current thought...hehe. Just be yourself.....playing other peoples music is a dead end rut to being "you" IMHO so maybe you should only play original "who you are" music for a while and find yourself in it.

I'm not sure I understood that statement were you saying to or not to play other people's music? I'm a big fan of playing other people stuff that I feel I relate to, and then making it my own. Kind of being myself vicariously through them (did that make a bit of sense?).

Get a drum, get naked, join in a circle of aware souls! Dance, sing...I could care less if I can sound like someone else...I don't look like someone else and I don't want to sound like someone else....not that a few lessens would kill me;-)

Playing the piano naked sounds like an excellent idea. I'll have to look into that.

Learn to talk...then say your own words....

Notice that the basic summery of formulas in electricity is the same as the circle of fifths, with OHMs law in the middle....in the middle of that there is + & -, yin & yang, I & AM, and the rest is just a flow.....unless you stop moving and are still.....not a bad idea BTW. It's the calender! fire, air, earth, water....or winter, spring, summer, fall, the twelve signs of the Zodiac....or the twelve months of the year...same pattern, same feeling! on/off on/off over and over as long as you move.....it's all about time.

Was Ohm's law V=IR? I haven't taken physics in a while. Or was that Ohm as in the sound of perfection from eastern mysticism, or was it ohm as my college buddies referred to it as the sound of gas (GAS?).

It's just a feeling...and there are no rules

Long live the EGGMAN!

The Walrus was here, and now I'm here.....talking to myself through space and time.

Weird, but true....

John^^

Just remember the Walrus was Paul, or was the Walrus the Onion? Oh I'm getting so forgetful these days. I just wish I didn't bail on this thread so early (aka got too busy to read anything), because a lot of people definitely could have used a good ribbing.

I'll have one of what John Hendry is having ... make that a double. :cool:

John, welcome aboard!

Archived