Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

slightly OT ... amps

Dave Horne

I bought a Carver 2.0t amp about 15 years ago or so and really miss using (and carrying) it. It put out 465 wpc RMS and the amp weighed 10 or 11 pounds (and was two rack spaces). Carver stopped making those extremely light weight but powerful amps and no one makes them now as well. There is nothing that comes close to that weight in that power range.

I bought a QSC Powerlight amp when I moved to the Netherlands which was the lightest powerful amp at the time.

For guys who move their own equipment, wouldn't you like to be able to buy a powerful amp that won't break your back. Sorry ... had to vent. I write Carver about once a year pleading with them to market such an amp again.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

You are saying that the Carver amp was better-sounding than the QSC Powerlight, Dave?

:cool:

Any well designed amp is colorless. The specs today are fantastic and certainly better than my hearing.

No, I was pointing out the fact that no one makes a power amp that is also light weight. That Carver amp put out 465 wpc (8 ohms) RMS in a two rack space package that weighed 10 or 11 lbs. The QSC amp I bought puts out less power and weighs about 17 lbs. That QSC amp was the lightest amp in the power range I was looking for and that's the only reason I bought it .... it's weight.

If you take a look at most amps in that power range (350 - 500 wpc RMS) you're looking at 21 to 55 lbs. An 11 pound amp makes a real big difference in the overall weight in a rack case that also carries the mixer, compressor, voltage regulator and effects.

I'm just talking about weight - that's really the only measurable difference in any well designed amp. (Fan noise on a job is not noticed.)

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

What about the Peavey DPC 1400X at 15 lbs and 1HE?

Of (older) the Peavey DPC-750 (I have one)? In Holland I bought an amp from an unknown brand wich was even lighter than the Peavey with 350w per channel and also 1 HE.

Grtz,

Jeroen

VanZea, thanks for the Peavey tip. It is really great to learn that other companies use that advanced switching system that Carver initially came out with. Had I known about that Peavey amp I would have bought that instead of the QSC. That Peavey amp seems to be about the same power as my QSC amp, is about 1 kg. lighter and one rack space smaller ... amazing.

I'm guessing that Peavey take the prize of being the lightest weight amp in that power range.

Jazz+, thanks for the info. I took a look at Stewart Audio's web site and checked out the World Series amps. I'm glad that there are more companies that use that 'advanced switching' system in their design. Thanks!

Archived