Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More AES Spam -- Euphonix MC-5 DAW Controller

Red Winger

Saw this in the Daily and thought others might be interested. I'm hoping to see one in action today. Looks most interesting for Nuendo users, but seem like it would have application to other Win XP DAWs. OSX still in development. Could be interesting for LP7, now that you can use any MIDI controller.

Couple obvious downsides: doesn't look like the faders are motorized/touch-sensitive, and there are only four of them; two trackballs? :confused: I would have prefered one and a jog wheel or joystick.

No pricing available on website.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get a price on this, sorry, but I get the feeling it is rather large. Interestingly, it didn't draw much in the way of crowds at AES. The big crowd pleaser was the "Smart Console".

Check out Smart Console Here

It was very impressive to see the guy mixing a session with relatively few hand/arm movements. Besides, that arc of lights shur is perty.... :D

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

The SmartAV console is impressive. The concept is that the arc-shaped control area is your "chair" in front of a huge linear console. By touching it, you can assign channels to faders individually or in banks. It's really neat how whatever you have written on the arc's scribble strip comes up on a dot-matrix display above the main faders, channel by channel.

The downside, as far as I can tell, is that it's only a control surface (no audio path), is very expensaive ($50 - $150K is what I was told), and doesn't work with Pro Tools. (Hard to imagine Digi supporting something that could be direct competition for the Icon's surface.)

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Archived