Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Not really OT - Rubber Tubing

Botch.

Thanks to Jeebus for breaking the rubber barrier... :D

I got to play my new Nord Electro out Friday night, had it on my Invisible Stand along with the Nord Lead on the top. I bought this stand used, and it has 3/16' chromed wire arms that hold the keyboards up with little rolls of duct tape as cushions. I'm sure the duct tape was something the previous owner did, and not stock.

Well, they don't hold the keyboard still very well. That, combined with the Electro's light weight, caused the whole board to slide sideways every time I'd try a gliss on those nifty waterfall keys, and I kept hitting our guitar player in the back of the head with those nice wooden ends... :D

I'd like to split some rubber tubing and glue it onto the wire arms, that should solve the problem, but I can't find rubber tubing anywhere! I tried the hobby shop, and the local Lowe's and Home Depot, nothing. Any suggestions on where I could find such stuff? Thanks in advance!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Botch.:

Thanks to Jeebus for breaking the rubber barrier... :D

I got to play my new Nord Electro out Friday night, had it on my Invisible Stand along with the Nord Lead on the top. I bought this stand used, and it has 3/16' chromed wire arms that hold the keyboards up with little rolls of duct tape as cushions. I'm sure the duct tape was something the previous owner did, and not stock.

Well, they don't hold the keyboard still very well. That, combined with the Electro's light weight, caused the whole board to slide sideways every time I'd try a gliss on those nifty waterfall keys, and I kept hitting our guitar player in the back of the head with those nice wooden ends... :D

I'd like to split some rubber tubing and glue it onto the wire arms, that should solve the problem, but I can't find rubber tubing anywhere! I tried the hobby shop, and the local Lowe's and Home Depot, nothing. Any suggestions on where I could find such stuff? Thanks in advance!

Would it not work better to fill a couople of old socks with sand and put them on the ends of the board? At least then if they don't keep the board in place, they will have a more salutary effect on the back of the guitarist's head.

Seriously though, I don't think changing the material will make a lot of difference. My inclination would be to get a sheet of 3/8" plywood and make up something that will grip those rails - by putting wood strips or rubber feet on the bottom so that thay lock around the rails and similarly lock onto the rubber feet of the board itself either with more wood strips or by having the board's feet hang over the edges of the plywood. Or if total height is a problem, drill holes in thge plywood that the feet can sit in..

I use an Electro with an Invisible stand. Velcro is most definitely the solution for you, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I have used this stuff for years and it rules.

What you need to do is go to the local hardware store and buy a 15' roll of Velcro. It will have a stripe of hooked material and a stripe of soft material. Take the hooked side and wrap it all the way around the chrome arms on your Invisible in a diagonal fashion. Then set your Electro on the stand and determine exactly where you like it. Take a pencil and make a couple of marks on the bottom of the Electro so you'll know where to put the other side of the Velcro.

Then flip the Electro over and lay two stripes of the soft side of the Velcro along where your pencil guides are. Now you will have some wiggle room if you decide to move it a bit on the gig. The way I have mine set up for ease of use is I have the velcro sitting beside the rubber feet under the Electro. So when I go to put the Electro on the stand, I feel for the right front rubber foot and make sure that is to the right of the chrome arm. This locks the Velcro in place.

Once you have it on there with Velcro, that sucker will not BUDGE! I promise you, it is ROCK SOLID. People have bumped into my keyboard stand and I've never had any problem whatsoever. I have my whole rig strung together with Velcro, including the Nord Lead 2x that magically hangs off the side of my S90 with no problems.

Regards,

Eric

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I was intrigued with the Velcro idea so decided to give that a try. I made one modification to your suggestions Eric, I wrapped the soft half over the wires, and put the hooked part on the keyboards, as the soft part seemed to be more flexible and hopefully a bit less likely to unwrap as the adhesive ages.

It all went really smoothly, the most painstaking part was separating the first corner of the adhesive backing from the Velcro (eyes are over 40, and fingernails are fiddler-short :D )

I also rediscovered Botch's Second Axiom to Murphy's Law of Keyboards: No matter what 'boards you have, 61-, 76- or 88-key, no matter what kind of keyboard stand you have, either the output jack, pedal jack, or MIDI port will line up precisely with one of the back upright legs!! :mad::mad::mad: At least I caught it before I attached the Velcro.

A nice side benefit with the Velcro is that it stiffened up my Invisible stand noticably about the z-axis, where there was always a bit of wobble/twist. We've got a Halloween gig Saturday night and I can hardly wait to try out the new setup. Thanks again, guys! :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived