Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland now has Owners Manuals Online!

keynote

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...but you can get older ones at very reasonable prices by calling Roland customer service at (323) 890-3700, 8:30am-5pm PST, M-F.

Still, it's really cool that the manuals for the newer products are online. For a long time I've enjoyed seeing the manuals on the Alesis site (to name one)--seeing the manuals even helps me (and probably others) make purchasing decisions!

Ben

This is a good move. Emu has always been great about providing manuals online, and even updated manuals to go with OS updates.

Maybe next Roland will start telling us what changes or fixes are addressed in their OS updates. I always thought it strange that they provide OS updates but never inform the customer of what the update does.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've owned a number of Roland products over the years, but the most recent was a Super JX10, bought used back in 1986. I hope they're better now about documentation. A typical section would be something like this:

Parameter: Description

Fluximation: Adjust "fluximation" amount in sound

Farcation: Adjust "farcation" amount in sound

Clearly written by people who knew little about English or synthesizers.

Originally posted by Rick K.:

Now if it would only download without the error..... :mad:

Indeed.

Classic website overdesign. If they had simply linked to a file, you could right-click and download. But no, let's get all fancy with databases and action buttons.

Sigh.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Yup. Overdesign all right.

Still I'm grateful. It increases the likelihood that I will buy a Roland synth product next, simply because I can educate myself on what it does.

Hopefully they are beginning to understand the information we get at the local "Some-other-instrument" Center.

Hey can you tell me something about this synth?

Yeah sure, it's really cool. Check out this piano sound. And look. You can press this button for the demo.

So, what else does it do?

It does a lot. You can see the sticker says it has 16 gazillion sounds. They are all hip sounds, man.

So what's the difference between it and the synth over there with the 15 gazillion sounds?

Um, well this is a Roland and that is a Korg. They are both really good. So, um which one do you prefer?

:rolleyes::D

Jerry

Originally posted by konaboy:

Maybe most of you know this, but you can save a pdf file after it has opened in your browser. Use the appropriate button at the top of the page. Useful workaround if you just wanted to download the pdf.

Well, I'm not sure what others are seeing, but when I try to download the RD-700 manual in Windows XP with either IE or Firefox, the Acrobat plug-in throws an error before the manual loads. I tried a whole bunch of stuff, all with the same result. Including upgrading my Acrobat Reader to the latest/greatest (which is never a bad idea anyway).

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Originally posted by TrancedelicBlues:

:( I couldn't load a manual either... :mad:

The problem is on you, Rick, and Dave's end it seems as I have no problem downloading any of the .pdf files I tried, and I tried several.

It is best to use the latest Adobe Acrobat as Dave suggested but beyond that there must be other reasons because Dave said he does have the latest version of Acrobat installed and he's still having problems downloading the .pdf Manuals.

It is hard to diagnose (how about impossible ;) ) without knowing your setups but I'm thinking the Browsers could most likely be the culprits. Not necessarily the type of Browser you're using, e.g. Netscape, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc. but possibly an older version of a Browser whichever one that may be. Of course there are possibly several other reasons why some of you are having problems downloading the Manuals but some simple steps like setting your Browser Security levels to Default may help (you can reset them to previous levels once you download the Manuals if need be). Other things like updating your OS and Browser with the latest enhancements and Critical updates may be the ticket to success in being able to download the .pdf files. Microsoft has the Windows Update site for the very purpose of plugging holes, fixing incompatibilities, and providing enhanced integration of its Operating Systems. Although I don't necessarily recommend you update to Service Pack 2 at the present because of verified hardware and software conflicts that could arise and also security flaws that have been discovered in Windows XP Service Pack 2. If some have already updated your Windows XP computer with Service Pack 2, that may be the reason you're having problems with the .pdf files downloading. :D Unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

There are so many other things I could suggest, like clearing your Browser Cache which sounds simple and trite but it may do the trick. Also, you could have windows do a Scan Disk (Check {CHK} Disk for Windows 2000/XP). Scan Disk is simple. Just click Start/Run and type "scandisk" without the quotes in Windows 95/98/SE, etc. In Windows 2000 or XP double click the "My Computer" Icon on your Desktop (or you may need to go into Start/My Computer) click, then right click the Local Disk (C:), etc., choose Properties then click the 'Tools' tab/Error-Checking "Check Now" and tick 'Automatically fix file system errors'. Hit 'Start' then YES and reboot your computer and on the reboot it will Scan the Hard Drive for errors and correct any if found.

PS: I realize you guys may know all about this stuff but if somebody doesn't, I went ahead and provided the instructions just in case.

I'll send you the bill in the Mail. :D

>>I hope you guys get it resolved, as those Manuals are just waiting to be downloaded and put to good use. :thu:

Mike

In my case, the Acrobat plug-in in my browser no longer works. This is becuase I had version 5.x (of Acrobat, I mean) installed. I think part of the installation is to install the plug-in into your browser, in addition to installing Acrobat itself on your pc. Then, without un-installing Acrobat 5.x, I installed a newer version of Acrobat (6.x, I think), which upgraded the browser plug-in, I guess. Then I uninstalled the newer version of Acrobat, because it was slower than molasses to load, and I imagine that it removed the browser plugin as part of the un-install.

I still have Acrobat 5.x on my PC, but no plug-in my browser.

I could un-install and re-install Acrobat v5.x, if I could find it somewhere, I suppose, but I can't be bothered.

I usually just download .PDF files to my hard drive, and read 'em from there. (Best way to do that is to right-click the .PDF link, and then 'Save As', by the way).

For the Roland links, they don't actually have a link to the .PDF files directly, so I can't just download it like I normally do. They force you to open it in your browser. That sucks, Roland.

Originally posted by Mr. Anonymous:

I could un-install and re-install Acrobat v5.x, if I could find it somewhere, I suppose, but I can't be bothered.

Here you go:

It's 8.42 megs so I hope you're not on dial-up and in a hurry. ;)

Adobe Acrobat 5.1 download

PS: You may need to wait a few seconds before the download window comes up, especially if you're on a dial-up connection.

Mike

Thanks, Mike

I also found it on the Adobe site, here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/reader_archive.html#Win

along with a lot of other old versions.

I suppose I'll take the plunge and re-install it.

By the way, I found these funny instructions on the Adobe site, under "Support" / "Configure Internet Explorer or AOL to display PDF files (Acrobat 5.0-6.0 and Adobe Reader 5.0-6.0 on Windows)"

QUOTE: (sorry, kind of long)

"Configuring the browser to open PDF files within the browser window

When you install an Acrobat product on a system that includes a browser, you automatically configure the browser to open PDF files within the browser window. Acrobat installs ActiveX plug-in files that allow you to use IE or AOL to open PDF files. If Acrobat is installed, but PDF files don't open in the browser window, work through the following steps to configure the browser:

1. Make sure that the system meets the requirements for the Acrobat product you use. For a list of system requirements, refer to the following resources:

-- Acrobat 5.x or Acrobat Reader 5.x: See the ReadMe file included with the application.

2. Make sure that the ActiveX plug-in is in the correct location:

-- Adobe Reader 5.x: Program Files/Adobe/Acrobat 5.0 /Reader/ActiveX folder

3. Use a supported version of the browser:

-- Acrobat 5.0 and Acrobat Reader 5.0 support IE 4.0-5.0 and AOL 6.x (Windows 2000, Me, 98, or 95) or AOL 5.x (Windows NT).

4. Restart Windows to make sure that IE or AOL is accessing the most current Windows registry information.

5 . Reinstall Acrobat or Acrobat Reader to make sure that the correct plug-in information is added to the Windows registry."

END QUOTE

Note #5: "Reinstall Acrobat or Acrobat Reader". Ha, ha!

Archived