Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Mag "Clonewheel Heaven" Shootout

MikeT156

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good article, and I enjoyed reading this months issue. My question is why aren't there any audio clips available for download, or on a cover CD? Why try and describe the nuances and subtleties of the sound differences when it would be easier just to mic up the room and record it?

It's frustrating to read about all the great players that participated in the tests, and then not be able to listen to them!

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I finally read the whole thing... an excellent, comprehensive article. Steve, you should be proud (and yes, I know you had a lot of help from Ernie et al, but I know someone has to take the reigns of a writing project that deep).

That having been said, I giggled a couple of times when you identified yourself as "I, Fortner". Wasn't that an Isaac Asimov story? :)

- Jeff

Jeff,

That "I" business was actually an editing thing, so people wouldn't get confused about who was talking. Here's how the labor broke down:

All Motion Sound except MS-1771: Ken Hughes

Roland VR-760, Korg CX3 and BX3: Ken Hughes

Voce V5+: Ernie Rideout

Everything else: Me.

I was thinking about personally begging W. to reverse his stance on human cloning, because in the thick of it I really coulda used about three of me. I also did all those "B3 101" thingies.

Of course, that was just initial copy writing. Ernie and Ken had editorial oversight on everything, and I hafta say they did a great job. Jamell Umemoto, a relatively new art director, kicked ass on layouts IMHO.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

That "I" business was actually an editing thing, so people wouldn't get confused about who was talking.

Yes, I got it. I still thought it was worth a chuckle.

Nice work, all of you.

- I Klopmeyer

I've been running to the mailbox every day since about Oct 15th. For the past few years, it is rare that my monthly issues arrives later than the 20th of the previous month.

Well, this month, luck was not with me and finally the darn thing arrived TODAY! I had been reading all these posts and just wanted the magazine!

I immediately read the entire CloneWheel article from cover to cover and I loved it! Great job, Steve! An excellent feature! Now I have some added gear lust for some new toys, even though I am still very, very content with my Electro 2.

I do have one piece of feedback regarding the "Much in Common" chart. Here you have the called out the Electro 2 as being the only one of the bunch lacking Three polytimbral parts for upper/lower/pedal manuals. I think it is worth noting that the Korg CX3 and BX3 are also lacking this feature (no pedal part).

Once again, thanks for doing the story!

Regards,

Eric

Eric, I came away with a lot higher opinion of the Electro after I read the article in KB, as well as listening to some media clips on a Harmony Central thread that had a demo of the XK-3, CX-3, Electro, and Roland playing the exact same thing. I thought it compared well to the Hammond and the CX-3 for sound quality. The Electro sounds a LOT better than the Roland clone, the leslie sim is excellent, and for what you can get one for, I think its the best sound/value of the four.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived