Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Mag "Clonewheel Heaven" Shootout

MikeT156

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom Fiala,

About the B-2003, I had the current Noah software in front of me, with the thing running, and I couldn't find a parameter for mic distance. Perhaps what I got off their website wasn't the version you've seen, but I'm looking into this.

We also fact-checked our pieces with the various manufacturers, and though I wasn't directly invvolved with that process (that's in the technical editor's domain) I'm sure I would've been told if they'd flagged that.

I'm not calling your statement false, but I remember thinking it weird that there was no mic distance, and double-checking this very item. I'll gladly scrape the egg off my face if I'm wrong.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Steve:

I apologize if my comment about the Noah seemed harsh. Maybe I should have put one of those little emoticons in my post. If you refer to my first post, I thought you all did an excellent job with the review. I still do.

This was just a little detail that somehow snuck by. On my Noah system, it's on page 2 of the B-2003 screen - there's a knob for mic distance.

If there is someway that I can get the update to you, I'll be glad to help.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Tom,

No worries, man, I didn't take it as harsh. In fact, I appreciate the heads-up, and my response was more "thinking out loud" about how this could've been overlooked. I downloaded the Noah software around the final week of August, and hooked our EX unit up to our Mac... no mic distance on page 2. I also just re-downloaded the PDF manual currently on Creamware's webite, and it still doesn't mention mic distance.

Pure speculation at this point, but I'm thinking what may have happened is this: The remote software, which lives on the computer, is different from the plug-in code, which lives in the Noah. On a Scope or Pulsar system, you don't quite have this distinction. So in a nutshell, in having the current version of the remote software, it was assumed that plug-ins were current as well, when in fact, B2003 might have been a version behind, and so the remote didn't "see" a mic distance parameter that wasn't there.

At any rate, I'll get to the bottom of this (innaccuracies in anything I do keep me up at night... I'm kinda OC in that way) and insist on printing a correction if need be. Thanks again.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Haven't got mine yet either, but the suspense is killing me, because: I just bought a (barely) used Nord Electro 73 v.2 about a month ago. Am I going to feel bad about my purchase? (I doubt it, I snagged it for $800!).

An online .mp3 comparison like you mentioned, Steve, would be cool! :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

WOW Botch, that's a STEAL. Did you stick him up?

I don't even need a clone, but for that price I would buy it anyway. :D

Enjoy the music!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The Electro also got praises from a couple of testers as having the best Leslie sim of the bunch. I also like the Electro but wouldn't buy one for aesthetic reasons...I've been playing real Hammonds for over 35 years and...well... it just doesn't LOOK right :rolleyes: . For $800 though...that's pretty tempting.

Fro those who haven't read the Keyboard Mag article yet, it's more of an overview of what's out there...definitely not a shootout like they have done in the past. The descriptions of each product aren't as detailed out as a full-fledged review either. Interesting reading though.

I have this thing about Leslie sims. I'm a live player, and what I'm looking for is really not the sound of a Leslie in a room, but what a Leslie sounds like with two mics on it through the PA. Those of you who are stage guys know the sound... exaggerated, swooshing, biting...and it has to be in mono. The closest I can get is on sims that have a separation paramater...I run it as high as I can get it and then use just one side. I wish clones would offer this sound as an option.

Originally posted by Bill H.:

I also like the Electro but wouldn't buy one for aesthetic reasons...I've been playing real Hammonds for over 35 years and...well... it just doesn't LOOK right :rolleyes: . For $800 though...that's pretty tempting.

I held off on the Electro as so many people complained about the buttons vs drawbars, but since I've never had a B-3 (heck, I've never even played one yet) I figured I could get used to the buttons just as easily.

And yeah, it doesn't look like an organ, but you should see what I play for a fiddle! :D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Booch, Its all about what you like. I listen to opinions on the draw backs of a lot of things that are out there and then decide if I can live with them or not, but don't worry about what other people say. Someone on Harmony Central posted a demo of 4 different clones playing the same piece and they all sounded very close. I was really impressed with the Nord as well as its Leslie SIM. I didn't care for the key click all that much, but that one thing wouldn't stop me from buying it for the sound I heard, not to mention for what you stole it for. :)

Bill H: I think for the time being you're going to have to stick with a real Leslie. :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

A 73-key Electro 2 for $800 is a ridiculously good deal. You got more than your money's worth! :D

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Can't you just picture seeing this SAAB

http://www.saab.com/img/bil0.jpg

going 100 miles an hour down the interstate... the driver looks to be about 6'8"

http://www.puddlestone.net/photo19.jpg

Sitting in the seat on the passenger's side with a seatbelt strapped around it is a RED 73-key NORD Electro (Version 2.WTF?) :D

http://www.btproductions.com/Gear/Nord%20Electro/Electro%2073.jpg

Well, THAT WOULD BE BOTCH! :wave:

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Diversi sounded like the best deal, if you do pedals - Couldn't see how the extra B3P expense was justified (remember, pedals are extra on B3P, standard on Diversi)...

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Dave, you're not hallucinating. Yes, other sections (notably EVB3) refer to the "B4 section," but it's nowhere to be found. I learned this was the case just a couple of days ago.

The layout dept made a boo-boo... a big boo-boo, but they're gonna kiss it better. Next month, the missing NIB4 bit will be run in its entirety.

Sorry about that!

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Am I missing something though -- I couldn't find the NI B4 section to save my soul. I don't seem to be missing any pages...
Glad to know I'm not blind. I went through the article four times looking for the B4 write up. WTF happened? How did they miss mentioning what seems to be the best of the best software-wise?

Dave - if yours doesn't show soon, PM me and I'll mail you the extra I snagged at the Music Player booth Friday. I grabbed one because I didn't wany to to chance missing the clonewheel or Danny Louis articles but came home to my isue in the mailbox. The Danny Louis article alone is worth the postage.

Hi JimmieWannaB,

Yes, I changed my screen name to "Dave the Grave" for Halloween, then tried to change it back to "Dave the Rave" earlier tonight, but the system wouldn't let me. Until I get it sorted out, I chose to go with my chosen artiste name "Jardini" (www.jardini.com).

The avatar is just for tomorrow....I'm not allowed to vote, even though I pay inordinate amounts of tax....cuz I only have a "green card".

If my copy of KB mag doesn't arrive by Saturday, I think I'll come begging to you! Thanks for the thought :thu:

BTW, I LOVE your avatar! :D

:DTR

Dave the Rave / Jardini:

I sympathize with you on the "not getting to vote thing", but paying lots of taxes - me too!! (I'm a Canadian working & living in the US. Married to a lovely Floridian. Still waiting for the INS to process all my documents - it's been 2.5 years!!)

It's "taxation without representation"! Seems to me that most Americans never liked this idea either.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Originally posted by MikeT156:

I didn't care for the key click all that much, but that one thing wouldn't stop me from buying it for the sound I heard, not to mention for what you stole it for. :)

You did get an excellent deal on the Electro. I just wanted to pop in here to tell you that you can change the volume of the key-click sound (paraphrased from the manual):

1 Hold down SHIFT, press PROGRAM 8 button twice. The LED display should read "C.N" where N is a number between 0 and 9.

2. Add or decrease the amount of click by scrolling up or down with the nav. buttons. Lower number = less click.

3. Press any button (other than UP/DOWN, SHIFT, or STORE) to exit, and your changes are saved.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Read my brief post above. It was written, edited, fact-checked, and was supposed to go in, but something went awry at the layout stage. :rolleyes: We'll be running it in it's entirety in the December issue, along with pictures of us all with egg all over our faces.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Archived