Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Laughable

I like how all the news media, in one last desperate propaganda push to get people who don't have any to go out and spend more money, have described the current failure of the Christmas retail season as a result of "shoppers getting cannier and holding back on sales." Like everyone's out there, the millions of unemployed and the many millions more of their families, friends, former co-workers, all the companies in all the services and retail and grocery affected by those millions' unemployment, just eager to jump on that last 10% discount. I wonder how long it will take the retail pundits to wake up from their coke-induced fantasies and realize that the reason "the heroic consumer" has "failed" is because it was all a stupid myth, right up there with all the other bubbles which have burst recently, and the reality is no-one's going out to "save retail" as their act of Christmas spirit. We're at home, enjoying a few videotapes and some basic turkey, ham and each other this Christmas. Retail and all the rest of the tinsel crap can go to hell, as far as we're concerned. Which is as Christmas should be. rt

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree with you, Realtrance. This year K-Mart actually started their Xmas sales on [i]Thanksgiving Day!![/i] I was an occasional K-Mart customer, now I'll never go there again. A rival chain just posted on their doors: "One Holiday at a time! Closed Thanksgiving". They'll be getting my business more now. :thu:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Yes... i agree.. I don't even celebrate christmas anymore... it's such a hassle, waste of time, money and everyone gets so burned out and uptight in the process that it can't be enjoyed by anyone. This year (like last year) i'm not giving anything, and i've specifically told everyone not to get me anything as i don't do christmas anymore. All the blatant consumerism is good for the economy, yes, but it kinda detracts from the "original" meaning of christmas- celebration of the birth of Christ. I can't honestly say i've ever participated in that aspect of it either, but to each his own. And if the entire national economy for the year is based upon one specific, irreproducible event, then we are in worse shape than i thought.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Whether it be birth of Christ, winter solstice, Celtic ritual, Harmonic Convergence, or whatever, there are so many REAL riches in the world to celebrate during the season. Many of which are still, fortunately, free. Say, a walk in the woods.. or the desert.. or around the lake shore.. or in the mountains.. wherever you be. Don't let all the consumerist hysteria distract you. Have a peaceful one! :wave: rt

Yep. I decided to just spend my Xmas cash on myself. Merry Christmas to ME!

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Archived