Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland X6 performance question

Anthony Sole

When I add sounds to a performance setup in the Roland X6, some sounds do not sound the same as when in patch mode.

Example, the piano+strings sound, when added to a performance, you can no longer hear the strings.

I'm guessing it is a multi-layered sound that drops the second sound when adding to a performance. I was wondering if anyone knew how to over-ride this, or another way around it.

I am using it as a master in a 2 keyboard setup, and need some complex sounds to be able to be played from 2 keyboards.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I can't see performance mode dropping the string bed for reasons of polyphony.

Try moving the knobs in performance mode. Perhaps that particular patch crossfades in the string bed based on "continuous controllers" which are driven by the knobs. Performance mode may be resetting the controllers to zero somehow. There are a number of "piano with strings" patches which default to having a strings volume of zero ... until a continuous controller is activated. That activation may be different in patch mode than in performance mode.

You can trace how it works:

Go to the tone that is carrying the strings in the patch (tone 2 perhaps?). Then go to the control matrix to find out how VCA (of the string bed) is being affected by controllers (system controller 1 perhaps?) Find out which of the physical controllers are mapped to that. When you get back to performance mode, wiggle/turn that controller to see if you can get the strings back. You can always remap controllers to make it easier for you. I like to use a pedal to crossfade the strings in while I play.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Hmmh, I looked at my post and I realized that there is a way in which, performance mode could affect the string bed and that could be (for example) if the performance has allocated polyphony manually. Each each voice(part) there is a voice reserve parameter. You might check to see if the other parts (not the piano+strings) have been allocated too much polyphony. Some of the factory Performance presets allocate an equal voice count to each part, so you can find yourself using a fraction of the polyphony that is in the synth. Just a thought.

Jerry

Archived