Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nerves

Dave Pierce

I usually don't get too nervous before a gig, but I've got one tonight that has me a bit jittery!

Pete Escovedo has opened a brand-new first-rate club in downtown San Jose. It's plush, classy, and the current buzz of the town. His daughter Shiela E has already played there, and Prince hung out there after his recent concert.

And we're playing there tonight! :thu:

I'm sure some of you guys play gigs like this all the time. But with all the dive bars, seedy clubs, and house parties that I've played lately, this gig is definitely a Big Deal for me.

Wish me luck!

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tear it up, Dave.

Relax, have a good time, and you can't go far wrong. :D

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

The gig went really well. We had a nice crowd, and knocked 'em dead the first set. The second set was a little rough in spots, but no train wrecks or anything like that. We got our brains back on the job for the third set, and had another good one.

The sound engineer was just awesome. It is such a joy to work with professional, competent sound people! :D Great system, monitor mixes were perfect, everything sounded great on stage. The room seemed a little boomy -- they had the mains pointing down at the dance floor which created tons of bass reflections. But compared to our normal "bring-a-PA-and-run-it-from-stage" mode, it sounded just fine. :rolleyes:

And...here's the kicker...they had a mic'ed-up piano! A Yamaha Grand of some sort. There's only about five tunes on our list where I play piano patches without horns and other stuff, but I played them all on the grand, and it was great! The action was too tight for my normal windmill glisses, but I didn't mind -- it was a real joy to play.

Made me realize -- I've never played a real piano in a live band situation outside of church before. I like it!

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Glad to hear the gig went well, Dave.

Originally posted by Dave Pierce:

Made me realize -- I've never played a real piano in a live band situation outside of church before. I like it!

Yeah, well, it's hard to get an Anvil case big enough for a concert Yammy. And...then there's the roadies' worker's comp to consider. :P;):D

Cheers,

Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Archived