Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC-2x expanded

Prague

I finally got the Vintage expansion installed in this keyboard. I had already had the Orchestral expansion sounds, so I now have the fully loaded keyboard (I haven't installed the doubled polyphony option. No need).

I must say that I am really pleased with this keyboard. It's sounds and it's inherent "sound" is just so unique compared to everything I usually hear. I may just find the KorgRolandYamaha synths are just done to death for my tastes. This Kurzweil, to me, just sounds like no other.

I do have an EMU rack for Vintage sounds, but the Kurzweil has it's own character, so I now have at least 25 different mellotron sounds I can use. Analog heaven.

I easily have 20 Rhodes and 20 Wurly's. All very useable. Plus, CP's and clavs and moogs and ARP's and Obies.

I like to be a bit different and/or unique. This Kurz has really fit the bill for this and sounds great to my ears.

I suspect I will eventually want to add another 76 note keyboard/controller. Thus my rig will be:

Kurz PC-2x 88 weighted

Roland A-70 76 controller

Ensoniq VFX-IISD (poly-aftertouch!) 61 note

Alesis ION

EMU Vintage Keys Pro (rack)

ARP Quartet (optional, but not in use now)

So, a unique 76 note is the last thing I'll want. Possibly another A-70 if I decide to use softsynths. I really don't want to have a PC as part of the setup, though. Waaaaaay too much money tied up in a laptop.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prague, I installed the polyphony option on my PC2X. Sometimes I'll play full chords, Brubeck style, and want a guarantee that none of the notes will drop out. Same with glissandos. Kurzweil has a great algorithm for making sure that when notes do drop out that it's not too obnoxious. Remember, with the stereo programs like the stereo triple-strike piano, you are using twice the polyphony than when you play a mono program. I also wanted the polyphony option because one day the unit will be discontinued & I wanted to go ahead and buy it before there are no more being made.. :rolleyes:

I guess you already know that if you do install this option, you will need to purchase a 2nd set of Orchestral ROMs and a 2nd set of Vintage ROMs. With the polyphony option, the Kurz plays a note with its main engine, then it plays the 2nd note you hit through the polyphony option. So, if you are using a voice from the Orchestral or the Vintage keys option and don't have these additional ROMs installed, you will hear nothing on every 2nd note.

Unfortunately... and I really hate saying this, but if you've ever considered purchasing the polyphony option - or any other Kurzweil options - you may want to go ahead and do it.

I think you know why. :(

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Yea, good advice. I had thought about that. But I may just get a rack version used instead. We'll see.

Polyphony and the 2 cards will run about $500 or so? I'll wait and see what the need for polyphony is as opposed to a variety of sounds.

This is easily a keyboard I will keep forever. It really is something unto itself. Even my keyboardists are having a hard time not using it! (especially the one who spent $2500+ on a Korg, hee-hee)

Prague, I feel the same about the Classic Keys expanson ROM. It really rounds out the PC2X. I also like the 4 KB3 organs they added. They seem to have more 'bite' than the stock ones. I too am thinking that if you are going to get extras, get them soon (bought the slide in music stand a few months ago).

GAS....a question. If you add the poly expansion, is there room for two (each) of the Orchestra and Classic Keys ROM's or do you have to go with one or the other?

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

I'm pretty sure the polyphony expansion requires the Poly circuit board, an additional Orchestral expansion board (if you have one already) and an additional Classic Keys board (if you have one already). 3 pieces total.

Sweetwater has the Poly board at $400. Each additional expansion card is $180. So, $760 to double the polyphony. Hmmm, that's steep. I'm not too sure yet.

Also, make sure you order a ribbon controller. You never know. $50.

keyoctave - The polyphony expansion is one (1) circuit board that incorporates the sound generating engine, identical to the circuitry on the main board. It has two memory slots: one for the Orchestral ROM, another for the Vintage Keys ROM. The ROMs look just like a stick of RAM memory for your PC - but they're ROMs.

All 3 options are simple to install and work fine after you update the firmware.

I'm very pleased with the Vintage Keys ROM. The sound designers did an excellent job of emulating the sounds found on particular recordings from popular artists. They also made good use of the mod wheels, switches, and pedal.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the same keyboard with the same options. :thu:

Good luck!

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

the pc2x is the best midi controller ever. it's absolutely indispensable for my keyboard setups (which i call up by name from my laptop running dp4). it doesn't have all the sounds you need but that's what your other keyboard is for (i.e. xp80)

I, too, would buy the PC-2X again if I had to make a choice.

As a Master controller, I also found you can advance from Program to Program sequentially (1, 2, 3, etc) or use a Go To value. This also works for Setups (ala Korg Combi's). These can be switched with any controllers.

I also trigger muted layers externally from other controllers when in a Setup, so all of the sounds can be accessed.

Archived