Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations on best place to buy G5

Red Winger

Other than the Apple Store, does anyone have a recommendation of the best place to buy a PowerMac G5 (probably the 2.5 GHz variety)? I don't want base model, as I'd want to add another hard drive and quite a bit more RAM. Also, I'm looking for places that won't charge California sales tax (and, preferably, no shipping).

I'm already considering Sweetwater, just looking for other options.

Thanks,

Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bleen, exactly correct, except I just remembered after Roger's post that audiomidi is having a "no sales tax" promotion in October...so they actually may be a possibility.

Mike, Sweetwater's definitely at the top of my list, as I've purchased a number of things from them and had great treatment and experience with knowledgeable folks. Free shipping, too. I'm just making sure I'm not missing some obvious places that I should be looking.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, keep 'em coming.

Originally posted by Red Winger:

Bleen, exactly correct, except I just remembered after Roger's post that audiomidi is having a "no sales tax" promotion in October...so they actually may be a possibility.

Since Apple has strict controls over retailer pricing, don't be surprised if their products are excluded from a promotion like this one. If you can save the sales tax on a G5, that's a good deal on a normally undiscounted product.

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

If you can save the sales tax on a G5, that's a good deal on a normally undiscounted product.
Yeah, particularly in CA (8.25% works out to be about $500 for what I'm likely to spend). I think if I can get no tax and free shipping, that's about as good a deal as I'm likely to swing. But...that's why I posted this thread (to see if I'm wrong).

I've always wondered how Apple can get away with controlling prices of its retailers the way it does. Sorta smacks of price-fixing, but I don't really know that much about antitrust re pricing.

Thanks,

Mark

Originally posted by Red Winger:

I've always wondered how Apple can get away with controlling prices of its retailers the way it does.

As is also the case with high quality products, such as ADAM speakers, Apple prices are set at the proper "selling price" and not a artificially inflated retail price ripe for flea market haggling.

Archived