Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FBI ordered to turn over Lennon files

Dave Horne

link to CNN article

FBI ordered to turn over Lennon files

Professor has waged 20-year battle to get documents

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The FBI must turn over the remaining secret files on Beatle John Lennon to a professor who has waged a more than 20-year legal battle to get the documents, a judge ruled.

U.S. District Judge Robert Takasugi rejected government arguments Tuesday that releasing the last 10 pages would pose a national security risk because a foreign government secretly provided the information. The government was not publicly identified.

Jonathan Wiener, a professor at the University of California, Irvine, sued the U.S. government for the documents in 1983 under the Freedom of Information Act. He received 248 pages in 1997 as part of a settlement.

The previously released files, which were gathered from 1971 to 1972, include memos detailing Lennon's donations to a group planning to demonstrate at the 1972 Republican National Convention. But they contain no allegations Lennon was involved in planning or committing illegal acts.

Wiener, a historian, originally sought the files for his 1984 book, "Come Together: John Lennon in His Time." After the 1997 release, he wrote "Gimme Some Truth: The John Lennon FBI Files."

His battle with the government went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. [oops..]

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by radiospace:

I'd like to see their files on Cat Stevens. :D

I'd like to see their files on me! I once wrote something in another forum and a member went ballistic against me. He accused me of all kinds of things. (This was after 9/11 and I was accused of being less than patriotic.) I have a fair amount of items at my web site that a conservative government might raise their eye brows at. I also have a web counter and I could see that an interesting party from Langley, Virginia visited my site many times after that incident. As a result, I go out of my way to identify myself and link and back up all of my statements.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Originally posted by radiospace:

[qb]I'd like to see their files on Cat Stevens. :D

I'd like to see their files on me!

The word "incarcerated" on your page was meant ironic?

(it might've gone *whoosh* next to my head, and I like to think that I have a decent sense of humor, but folks with considerably less mental pillowing might hear several alarms going off)

Just back from a 90 minute job on a freshly tuned, nine foot/three meter Steinway.

The word "incarcerated" on your page was meant ironic?

One humorous highlight of a twenty year job as a musician with the US military was moustache inspections. Since I was the senior person in the jazz band who sported a moustache, I would lead the march of the rest of the moustaches for an occasional inspection. Of course, I didn't take it very seriously and I always made it a point let them know that as well.

To answer your question the use of the word incarcerated was meant as a joke, a serious joke.

Yeah Dave. And it's a serious joke for the Feds to go after The Lennon Sisters anyway! :mad::D (I hope somebody besides ME remembers The Lennon Sisters! :rolleyes: )

http://www.kendelo.com/Lennon2.jpg

;)

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

ITGITC, you're going to have to translate your last post for me. You lost me.

was meant as a joke, a serious joke.[/QB]
The first time I read it, I didn't know what to think of it.

Later on I realized, that if I was in the army or navy for many years, I would have written the same. Fourteen months of serving the Royal Dutch Navy felt like a prison for me too.

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

"ITGITC, you're going to have to translate your last post for me. You lost me."

Think homonym- then slap self on forehead.

"I'd like to see their files on me! I once wrote something in another forum and a member went ballistic against me. He accused me of all kinds of things. (This was after 9/11 and I was accused of being less than patriotic.) I have a fair amount of items at my web site that a conservative government might raise their eye brows at. I also have a web counter and I could see that an interesting party from Langley, Virginia visited my site many times after that incident. As a result, I go out of my way to identify myself and link and back up all of my statements."

Hoo boy! A bit paranoid, are we?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Jayhawk,

Hoo boy! A bit paranoid, are we?

I have a web counter which tells me the IP of the individual looking at my main page. I saw an IP that I did not recognize and did a quick google search. It turns out Big Brother was interested in visiting my site after someone in another forum had gone ballistic on me. I really was accused of all kinds of un-American activities. This was not long after 9/11 to put this more in perspective. This was when good Americans would beat up anyone wearing a turban. Remember those days? The days when we refused to believe that our government actually supplied weapons to Osama bin Laden earlier in his career. (Getting off the point, aren't I?)

I'm not paranoid, just realistic and cautious. I have always used my real name in all forums and have nothing to hide whatsoever.

Yes, DH, all you, and the rest of us, need are more moustache inspections! I did a little time up at USMA '62-'65, and I know what those people are like. Early on I was a member of the "century club". I did get to play piano in the officers club and sing in the choir. Luckily I got out before it was too late! Jeez, if they go after that dangerous John Lennon, who usually stayed so f----- up he couldn't get out of bed, no telling what they'd do. Even with the need for increased security they seem to have too much time on their hands. Don't get me started. :mad::rolleyes:
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Originally posted by daviel:

Yes, DH, all you, and the rest of us, need are more moustache inspections! I did a little time up at USMA '62-'65, and I know what those people are like. Early on I was a member of the "century club". I did get to play piano in the officers club and sing in the choir. Luckily I got out before it was too late! Jeez, if they go after that dangerous John Lennon, who usually stayed so f----- up he couldn't get out of bed, no telling what they'd do. Even with the need for increased security they seem to have too much time on their hands. Don't get me started. :mad::rolleyes:

Daviel, were you a cadet? A drummer friend of mine always would say of West Point, 'Two hundred years of tradition unmarred by progress.'

Yes, I left the middle of cow year. Flunked the last engineering course I ever took! Your drummer friend has a good grip on the concept! There wasn't a stage band that I was aware of back then, but I always thought the musicians had the best deal, except for the fife and drum guys at reville.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Archived