Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I hate it when my gear fails me on the gig...

eric

I played this gig the other night in a very dark room, which was a grand opening party for this historic old warehouse just converted into upper crust lofts. Sound check went great with no issues. It was a very cool party and I was having a fine time until...

In the middle of my gig, the left amp in my stereo rig stopped working, out of the blue. Took me a minute to hear it and at least I was not totally dead in the water since the right side was still pumping. But it was like listening to a stereo recording through headphones with only the right side working. Not good for my mojo factor!

Problem was, it was so dark on stage that I could not very easily figure out what was wrong. To compound the matter, my band runs a lot of songs together, so there was no time to troubleshoot until the break. I tried replacing patch cables to no avail and determined that is was some issue with the mixer, though I could not determine what it was. So I just kept on playing the gig in mono, with the right speaker kind of in a bad place due to a cramped stage. I was pretty bummed by this point and had all these delusions like "As soon as I get home, I'm putting all that crap on eBay and buying new stuff!" I was envisioning some new monitors and all new cables and so forth.

Took the gear home, tested it at home with no issues whatsoever. Next gig on the following night, I found the same problem recurring and eventually figured out that in some circumstances, the XLR output of my mixer cancels out the 1/4" output of the mixer. The strange thing is that it seems to be sporadic, so I am not clear if this is a "feature" or a "defect." I have no manual to check, so I guess I'll go read it on Mackie.com.

Does anyone else have any recent gear failure stories?

Regards,

Eric

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had similar things happen. I have my equipment set up and everything looks fine, but something isn't working and I can't figure it out. It usually is a 1/4" plug that is not completely inserted.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Had an almost identical problem years ago Eric, when I lived in Dayton OH. The bad part was I was running stereo, but the rest of the band asked to move one speaker over to the other side of the stage so they could hear me better. And of course it was the channel I was listening to that suddenly went near-dead; to make matters worse it was my very first gig with that particular band.

At the end of the set they all said I played just fine, all cables were secure, then I noticed the trim control on my mixer had been bumped all the way down, d'Oh! :freak:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Hey Eric!

My biggest misatke I usually (still!) make is wiring the wrong output for the volume pedal(s) to the mixer. Usuall this happens when I'm on a tight stage, or the lighting is poor.

It would sure be nice to have a roadie to do all this! (keep dreaming....);(

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Our very helpful sound man had put my keyboard rig back together after some kind of event. I didn't have a chance to sit in on rehearsal. So I play a couple of notes early into the worship service. Everything's fine. I'm playing some soft layered pads. Then I step on the sustain pedal and Weaoh, the filter opens up on one patch, an LFO is gurgling away on another. :eek:

Turns out, he'd plugged the sustain pedal into the control input and vice versa. :D

Jerry

I had a KX88 fall on me at a gig. The keyboard stand collapsed and the corner of the keyboard caught me in the shin and made puncture wound that went down to the bone. I had to go to the hospital and get stitches. Still have a nice scar.

EDIT: I thought the thread was titled "I hate it when gear FALLS on me"

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

A gigging musicians best friend:

http://www.orderoutdoors.com/ml/m2ahblk.jpg

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

I watched one of my X-stands (brand new out of the box specifically for the session)fail in the middle of a Smashing Pumpkins session, sending one of Flood's Arp 2600s crashing to the floor.

I was ill and shaky for a week.

EDIT: just to make it clear that I have no delusions of grandeur, I was only there to provide some gear and make sure Studio Vision was running properly.

"For instance" is not proof.

the horror! the horror!

I think about all the backup systems I ought to have, all the extra cords, and how damned complicated this set-up is...

So what about backups? If the Triton Rack I use for bass acts up, a nightmare scenario because it's a menu hell, and absurdly complicated, I can use the bass from the organ module, with a single button switchover. If the organ module fails, I can just use sounds out of the MP9000 controller. If things really get ugly, we can just play vibraphone and guitar! That's the only scenario that really gives me any peace of mind- we can still put on a show regardless. If guitar strings break, it's solo vibraphone! Until I can restring...

All in all I'm amazed my midi stuff has worked as well as it has for as long as it has. I don't know that I've really had a failure, but I did have one tone module that is not in use because it tended to revert to a cheesy piano tone at inconvenient times.

The most embarrassing thing is to bust out some cheesy choral or string sound by mistake! That's happened once or twice.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Hey, if you can play vibes, you can't go wrong! Way cool :)

I saw a Weather Report concert way back when, just after Jaco had left the band. Zawinul was my hero -- I always thought his keyboards were so seamless. Well, I could hear a very nasty buzzing sound in the mains while they were getting ready to play, and I could tell from the JZ's body language that it was related to his gear. They never seemed to locate the problem, just hid it mostly, and the rest of the band's sound helped cover it up.

But you could tell Joe was kinda thrown by it, rarely really got in the groove all night. He'd dial up a sound on this or that (remember, this was before digital patches) and noodle a bit, and the rest of the band was who they were so it was still a great show. Anyway, even for the keyboard gods, crap happens, and while he didn't kick butt that night, he definitely held up his end and the band sounded good, and that's what counts.

And that's the difference between real musicians and the lesser folks. A real musician can make music regardless of the cards dealt, as long as he or she is left with a playable instrument. (I mostly fit into the "lesser folks" category; I really lean on the instruments!)

For the past few jobs I have run into a problem with my Motif rack. I will be playing along when suddenly I get this something is not right type feeling. The song ends only to hear the Motif sustaining a note or notes that were played somewhere during the song. Then everybody in the band looks at you like you are in the middle of a Southwest Airlines commercial

" Wan na get Away" ?

I saw the Dead one time when Phil Lesh's wireless rig was acting up. Big, loud pops, through a 64 foot high bass rig! Phil played very gingerly and the whole rhythm section fell completely apart.

Next set he came out plugged in!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived