Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

By ear...

Frayo

I keep posting about voice to MIDI.

I have this problem. I cant play by hear (or head rather). I have melodies and such in my head...and I want to get them out on keyboards...

i dont know how-- this is why I asked of a certain voice to MIDI translator... is there something out there that can change my voice to notation or something?

"When all you have is a hammer, everything else starts to look like a nail"

AIM: RaiyoKun

EMAIL: frayo@earthlink.net

www.livejournal.com/users/frayo

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can sing what you want to hear, you can try to pick the notes at the keyboard. This isn't an answer to your question; I think you are just giving up too easily.

I had a light go on many years ago. I must have been 15 or 16 and I was trying to figure out a melody. I remember looking at the keyboard and realizing that all the notes were in front of me. I started on the first note of the melody. The second note of the melody had to be one of the other notes in front of me. I kept trying one note and then the other until I hit the desired note. There are only 12 notes in the octave - the worst case is trying 11 wrong notes before you hit the desired note.

I'm willing to bet if you spend a little more time at the keyboard you'll be able to pick out those melodies you hear in your head. If this doesn't work out, you can always switch to ... drums.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Frayo:

I keep posting about voice to MIDI.

I have this problem. I cant play by hear (or head rather). I have melodies and such in my head...and I want to get them out on keyboards...

i dont know how-- this is why I asked of a certain voice to MIDI translator... is there something out there that can change my voice to notation or something?

How did the previous times you posted not help you? The last time you asked this question, I named at least three solutions. Do a search.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by Frayo:

... voice to MIDI translator... is there something out there that can change my voice to notation or something?

In the past Fairlight made a device. I believe it was called "Voicetracker". But I have never seen nor heard it.

Roland once made a microphone to midi but that didn't work at all. The midi data comming out of it seemed constantly to choose between two or more notes. Not to mention the delay...

Why don't you forget the keyboard and become a singer? :idea:

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Rather than investing your money in voice-tracking technology of questionable effectiveness, invest your time and energy in an ear training course. This will be a far better strategy to develop your musicianship in the long term.

If you learn how certain intervals sound, even if you don't have "perfect pitch", you should be able to notate your melodies with a significant increase in speed and accuracy. Soon you'll be working out whole arrangements by ear at the keyboard.

Good luck.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Archived