Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I didn't know this!

Just watched a "CBS Sunday Morning" feature on Chip Davis, the Mannheim Steamroller guy. He began his career as a jingle writer and later had several number one singles in the 70s. They only mentioned one, but I know it front to back - "Convoy"?!? The same guy who arranges all those Mannheim Steamroller songs wrote "CONVOY"? "Breaker one-nine, this here's the Duck We just ain't a-gonna pay no toll." So we crashed the gate doin' 98, I said "Let them truckers roll. 10-4." Kinda funny that the first "rap" song to hit #1 on the pop charts was a country song about a truck driver, huh?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whether you like Mannhiem Steamroller or not, you've got to hand it to Chip Davis. He could of hung out in Nashville and continue to write corny songs for a publishing company. Instead he went back home and composed some music that he really believed in, and without a record deal, MTV, VH1, radio play or any conventional marketing he has sold 27 million copies of that christmas music. Oh yeah, that's 27 million units wholesale. His company, American Gramaphone are their own distributor. No major label distribution either. Man, if only I could be that corny. :thu:

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]Those Fresh Aire albums are some of the best sounding vinyl ever produced. Is Chip Davis C.W. McCall? Please, tell me no. :) [/b][/quote]Yeah, even on TV speakers the mixes sound pretty decent. Chip Davis did write "Convoy", and a few other country hits before he bailed on Nashville.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Regardless of what you thought of C.W. McCall, a couple other of his "trucker rap tunes" were rather funny...in the tradition of Jim Stafford or Jerry Reed (minus Jerry's hot guitar chops). The day of the "novelty song". IMO, sure beat lyrics about drugs, hos, and cappin' someone's ass.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by The Tedster of Christmas Present: [b]Regardless of what you thought of C.W. McCall, a couple other of his "trucker rap tunes" were rather funny...in the tradition of Jim Stafford or Jerry Reed (minus Jerry's hot guitar chops). The day of the "novelty song". IMO, sure beat lyrics about drugs, hos, and cappin' someone's ass.[/b][/quote]Well, what's the basic message of "Convoy"? Screw the Man, that's what. Anyone who likes gangsta rap ought to check out outlaw country and see what a redneck gangsta sounds like. "Clean" lyrics, but about dirty people. You know, Johnny Cash was dressed in black long before NWA was.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

[quote]Originally posted by Botch.: [b]That's two heros fallen! :( Just a few weeks ago I learned that Ian Fleming, the creative force behind all the James Bond movies, also wrote .... "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"! :freak: [/b][/quote]Having a woman in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" named Truly Scrumptous should have been a dead giveaway that Fleming wrote it! I found out a few other Bond connections: - Bond producer Albert "Cubby" Broccoli also produced "CCBB" - Gert Frobe, who played Goldfinger, also played a villian in "CCBB" (I never knew that his lines were dubbed in "Goldfinger") - Desmond Llewelyn, who played "Q" in 19 Bond movies, is also in "CCBB"

[quote]Originally posted by Jode: [b] [quote]Originally posted by The Tedster of Christmas Present: [b]Regardless of what you thought of C.W. McCall, a couple other of his "trucker rap tunes" were rather funny...in the tradition of Jim Stafford or Jerry Reed (minus Jerry's hot guitar chops). The day of the "novelty song". IMO, sure beat lyrics about drugs, hos, and cappin' someone's ass.[/b][/quote]Well, what's the basic message of "Convoy"? Screw the Man, that's what. Anyone who likes gangsta rap ought to check out outlaw country and see what a redneck gangsta sounds like. "Clean" lyrics, but about dirty people. You know, Johnny Cash was dressed in black long before NWA was.[/b][/quote]Agreed...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived