Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Storing Keyboards / Electronics

drewlane

Having been through the little episode with my KX88 not coming on, it got me thinking about how I should store my equipment when I'm not using it.

It had been a year or more since I had the KX88 powered up and I'm wondering if it would have made any difference if I had been using it regularly.

So, is it better to get the equipment out that you're not using and power it up every month or just let it sit? Does it make any difference?

Regards,

Drew

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think it matters so much powering up as it does keeping the keys, knobs, sliders & buttons regularly exercised. This results in a kind of 'brushing' action that keeps the contacts from becoming built up with dirt or corroded. Hardware wants to be played, not tucked away in a closet, if you know what I mean. You might hurt your gear's feelings, and it will eventually take out its revenge on you. Hehe.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I've worked in the electronics/computer industry for some years, and it is my opinion that stuff deteriorates from:

- heat cycles from being turned on and off

- storage in a damp environment, particularly a condensing environment

- frequent and extreme cold/hot transitions in storage temperature

- overly high temperatures (120F/50C)

- sunlight

That's aside from hard disks, which are a crap shoot and just deteriorate over time; and certain plastics and rubber materials that are not stable and yellow or deliquiesce over the years.

So, keep it in a cool, dry place and don't turn it on and off every day, and you'll be fine.

Bartolomeo

Electric and electronic things die from disuse. Especially capacitors. I try to run everything once a month- doesn't always happen, I'm always grateful if it doesn't die from neglect if it's been disused for some months.

My poor A100 is dying a slow death as we speak... it's in storage where there's no juice, not a good thing... :(

I took a generator and fired it up, and every time I go there I work all the controls, but I know it will suffer and require repair and refurb from such neglect.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Most people don't understand it until I tell them this way. "Everything on this planet is made of pretty much the same stuff, so what happens to your body if you don't exercise it?" Turning things on once in a while does make them seem to last longer, not counting that man-made fault thats gonna happen any way. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

Electric and electronic things die from disuse. Especially capacitors.

Someone else mentioned to me about capacitors "drying out" from lack of use, but I'm still not sure why this happens.

Drew

p.s I feel bad for your A100 - give it some juice! :)

Originally posted by drewlane:

p.s I feel bad for your A100 - give it some juice! :)

You're the voice of my conscience!

That poor thing is going to need a full on overhaul. Hopefully it will come back to keepable condition- I need to have all drawbars work in all positions no funny stuff, and that's a tall order for an old Hammond... they worked when I put it in storage, now they're so scratchy it's hard to tell what will clear up eventually and what won't. :eek::freak:

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Bart:

I hear what you're saying about powering up and down everyday not being good for electronics. My understand is that it lasts longer if its kept at a constant temperature.

My question is......I have to power up my amplifier/mixer/speakers everyday to practice the piano. I don't always use the other stuff, Ensoniq TS10, ION, drum machine, etc. Will it hurt that equipment if I keep it powered off while still having it plugged into a mix that's on? My ES8 doesn't have speakers so I have to use the main system to practice every day. Any advice Bart or anyone else can give me would be appreciated.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived