Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what's wrong with my ensoniq TS-10?

jowsley

hello everyone. sometime last year, when i switched on the ts-10, nothing happened. it has not worked since then. the display shows nothing except in the bottom corner there is one small light that comes on, like part of a letter, only half-lit.

as we all know, ensoniq is now defunct and has been for quite some time. i looked to the emu website and found an email address for someone or something that called themselves quite cryptically, "thesoniq". i emailed this entity with a detailed description of the problem and asked for any advice and the address of a repair station close by.

i got a reply that said, again quite cryptically, "call me, thesoniq" and a long distance phone number that i think had a california area code. i live in illinois, and with a fear that i would somehow have to ship the workstation to california, i never called. i know, dumb. but if i have to send it, it's going to be expensive.

i was hoping that maybe somebody might know what this problem is (i guess i'm seeking a second opinion before i hear the first). could the internal rom battery need replaced? it never prompted me that it could be getting low. did static electricity zap it somehow? i just don't know.

any advice or insight would be tremendously appreciated.

thank you

jowsley

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

First, a battery failure would not cause this to happen. The result of a dead or failing battery (lithium cell in this case) would be nothing more than the internal memory not retaining your settings at power down.

Second, have you tried doing a re-initialization? This may clear things up if it is just a confused software issue. The re- init procedure is described in the beginning of the manual. Sorry, I don't remember the exact procedure and my old manuals are packed away.

If it turns out that your TS-10 needs a visit to the doctor, I would suggest contacting Emu by phone and trying to get to a service technician named Thie pronounced "T". Thie was one of the original service techs at Ensoniq while the company was still in existence in Malvern, PA. I am pretty sure Thie is still with Emu and he is the best when it comes to repairing Ensoniq gear.

Good luck,

Dave McMahan

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I had a similar episode with my SD1, the TS10's predecessor. I got it back up again with this procedure: Turn the machine on and off 7 times (on, then off when the display starts to light up). On the 7th time it should fire up. You may then need to do a software reinitialization and reload sequencer O.S., etc. And this procedure my not work on the TS...but it's worth a try.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Hi jowsley,

Just wondering if your TS-10 has come out of hiding?

wjwilcox,

Thanks for remembering the re-init procedure. I do beleive that is the correct procedure for the TS-10 as well.

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

TheSoniq is the person you want if you are serious about getting your TS10 fixed.He knows all about the Ensoniq gear and has parts and ROM chips to fix them.

I have found him to be honest, fair, and he even took the time to explain how I could do some repairs myself. I live in Hawaii and shipping costs are like Overseas from here.

Nord Electro Rack, Yamaha S90 ES, Kurzweil PC2 76, Kurzweil PC3

Another procedure that works well is to unplug your instrument, open it up, find the power supply (on the left in the SD1) and GENTLY remove and then replace each wire that is connected to the power supply via spade lugs. This effectively cleans the contact. Do this and then the hard reset and you may be good to go.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

thank you all for your suggestions and advice. i will most likely be trying to contact thesoniq to hear what he has to say.

wjwilcox, i tried the off and on seven times thing, but no luck. next i will try to open it up and check the power connections.

again thank you to all of you for your help.

jowsley

Archived