Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha VL70M - any users?

DafDuc

Yeah, it's only monophonic, but it's physical modeling, dammit! And under $600 US, IIRC.

I've always been a big fan of monos anyhow - cut my teeth on an Arp Axxe, loved my Prophet-5's unison mode, and recently bought an Odyssey on this board. Plus my K-station does mono - sadly, the switch is buried inside the menus...

Back to the case at hand - anyone use this? How are the patches? How's the programming interface? Are these really sounds I can't get elsewhere? Is the performance control gonna give me cool tweaks I can't do with samples?

IMWTK...

Daf (at peace with his GAS, for now...)

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one, haven't used it extensively yet. I like maybe 10% of the factory patches, there are some nice stringy things, and a few woodwindish that can be quite expressive (if you use a breath controller & an expression pedal as well as standard pitch & mod.). As far as I can tell, there is no programming interface - there was some kind of software that came with it, but it won't even run on my 'puter.

It may sound like I don't like this thing much, but that's not true - I just haven't had time to really put it through its paces yet. The few out-of-the-box patches that caught my interest right away can't be duplicated on anything else I have (some 70 or so instruments), so for me, that alone is worth the price of admission.

Scott

there is a VL section in my EX5R that's similar to the VL70M.

you can get an 'easy' and an 'expert' editor for it that are quite outdated (runs on win95 and maybe on 98).

http://windsynth.org/home.html

click on iwsa labs (left side of site),, then patch programming, then editors (or some-such).

these were done independently (i think), but yamaha should really be putting more into this.

easy is easy, and expert is 'take your chances'.

got to have a breath controller to get the best out of it, tho.

the best patches that sound the most realistic have an asterick next to the name.

play around with the parameters for a while and they start to make sense.

if you try to create your own models, you'll spend a good bit of time before you get anything usable - tweaking the presets is much easier.

not really for the faint of heart if you want to program instead of just using presets.

Thx, guys.

Any pros-or-cons to the type of BC? I have a 20-year-old BC-1. I think some of the spit has turned to stalactites. :freak:

So, my interest is piqued now: it's those magic words: "sounds you can't get anywhere else"!!!

Daf - about to fall off the gear lust wagon again...

I remember on a gig this drunk little hottie grabbed my BC and put it in her mouth. I was gigging 6 nights a week then, it was probably 5 years old...

...I don't miss playing bars. At all.

I use a VL70m and the Yamaha WX-5 wind controller.

You can get some really great wind and brass sounds out of it. If you want to hear some samples I would suggest you check out the modified units sold by Matt at www.patchmanmusic.com

His "Turbo-chip" replaces the standard sound set with one far superior than the stock Yamaha sounds. There are samples on his website.

--One thing I've found is that to get great sounds, you have to THINK like the instrument you are playing... expressiveness is everything.

When I switch from say a flute to a trombone sound, I have to go from hitting the notes the way a flute player does to hitting them the way a trombone does. Done right it's eerie and damn good, but I dont think you could get that out of anything but a windsynth connected to it...

Oh, jeeze.... that turbo sounds sweet. Or the writeup does.

Y'know, that ain't a bad price either.

I think we have a new #1 on Daf's gear lust hit parade!!!

Thanks for the link. Might be time to check out the BC-3, too. Never tried a BC-2...

Sorry, I missed this one the first time.

I have a VL-1m and a BC2. It's one of my favorite instruments. If you happen to find a VL-1m at a good price, get it. It has several advantages over the 70: two stackable voices, a more complete modeling algorithm, and excellent effects. I compared the two once, and it was like day and night.

That said, the VL-70m does sound nice, especially when you layer it with some analog-type sound. If you program some analog or VA synth to follow BC data, then fine-tune your patch to mix well with the VL, you can have a really powerful and expressive sound.

The BC1 is quite slow and lazy in response. The BC2, though not perfect, is much better; the BC3 is very similar to the BC2, with improved ergonomy.

I've bought both Patchman Music banks for the VL-1m, and frankly, I've never used them. Not that they're so bad; they give you some very good generic, sound-good-in-the-mix patches. The first time I've tried them, I thought they were good starting point, ready to be tweaked to add your own 'personality'.... But I've decided that after all, I'd rather start from scratch. :D YMMV, of course.

Archived