Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

seeking II-V-I advice....

MIDIdiot

things have come to a grinding halt with the (pop) band so I started turning my practice time towards beefing up my skills and trust me, I'm starting from scratch.

The 1st thing I'm doing is are II-V-1 excercises in all keys. Typical voicing in LH and running up scale to the 9th and down the chord for the minor, dominant and major, respectively. What do you think? Would I be better off using different scale/mode/pattern? My goal is to become much more proficient as a jazz and pop improvizer.

Oh, one important last question, any recommendation on who to listen to (for a pretty novice player when it comes to jazz)? I started listening to best of blue note monk CD which I bought years ago.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things might possibly progress faster if you were to take a few lessons with someone who performs for a living.

One quick tip - if you play something you like, analyse it (scale degrees, voicing, whatever) and play the same exact 'idea' in other keys. Maybe the idea will work ... maybe it won't. (There are only 12 major keys at the piano, right? Try playing something new in two different keys every day for a week. At the end of the week you will have worked through all 12 major keys. Following week - start all over again.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

From DH:

if you play something you like, analyse it (scale degrees, voicing, whatever) and play the same exact 'idea' in other keys

For example, if I hear a bar(s) that catches my ear from a particular tune, take that and run with it...that what you're saying?

Thanks.

I like to write out II-V-I licks in major and minor and practice in all keys. It's also good to transcribe some of recordings of your favorite players. Once you do that try placing your licks inside the tunes your playing. I would avoid scales alone. Its good to combine the scales with licks to add vocab to your style.

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

In addition to the other suggestions there are other learning tools.

Band-In-A-Box: it's a great way to "jam" with a virtual band. With the new jazz riffs program you can learn a few of the popular styles from the masters.

Jamey Abersold's Play along Jazz CD/books:

Start with Vol. 1

Also, the link below is a comprehensive forum that has alot to offer:

http://www.learnjazzpiano.com/

I'll suggest one jazz CD to get: Red Garland Trio "Groovy". He played with Miles Davis during the late 50's on many of his most famous recordings.

Mojazz said:

Jamey Abersold's Play along Jazz CD/books:

Start with Vol. 1

Also, the link below is a comprehensive forum that has alot to offer:

http://www.learnjazzpiano.com/

I actually have an Abersold book, bought over 20 years ago. I pulled it out the other night. That's what gave me the idea to practice up the scales to the 9th, down the chord... There's some good ideas in there.

I checked out the learnjazzpiano.com website. Interesting but it seems a little haphazard in how it's organized. I did find a great sounding excercise for a 2-5-1 though! Starting the scale on the 7th of the II chord! Sounds great, so simple yet I never thought to try it. Sounds much better than starting on the root note. I'll continue the scale stuff for a couple of weeks just for orientation, then hopefully will start picking out lines from jazz tunes and then work those through some excercises. I'll try to find the Red Garland stuff.

Thanks!

Originally posted by InTheDark:

things have come to a grinding halt with the (pop) band so I started turning my practice time towards beefing up my skills and trust me, I'm starting from scratch.

The 1st thing I'm doing is are II-V-1 excercises in all keys. Typical voicing in LH and running up scale to the 9th and down the chord for the minor, dominant and major, respectively. What do you think? Would I be better off using different scale/mode/pattern? My goal is to become much more proficient as a jazz and pop improvizer.

Being able to find the third and the seventh on the changes in the melody is something you want to get to the point of being intuitive, so try turning your scales round on those notes. Its ok to get there with a jump.

So when you go from D to G, in key of C, for example, try to hit F or B on the beat. You can also practice playing the 3 and the 7 and nothing else with your right hand melody on each chord and seeing if you can make it sound musical.

Plus, of course work on your rythm and your legato while you are doing it.

Originally posted by Byrdman:

Being able to find the third and the seventh on the changes in the melody is something you want to get to the point of being intuitive, so try turning your scales round on those notes. Its ok to get there with a jump.

So when you go from D to G, in key of C, for example, try to hit F or B on the beat. You can also practice playing the 3 and the 7 and nothing else with your right hand melody on each chord and seeing if you can make it sound musical.

Plus, of course work on your rythm and your legato while you are doing it.

Byrdman, if I understood correctly, I just went thru the cycle of 2-5 LH voicings with RH playing scale-wise but hitting the 3's and 7's on the changes, w/wo jumps, as needed, ascending/descending, randomly. Definitely sounds like something! This might be the most useful thing anyone has ever told me! It's tips like this that can make all the difference! Thanks! :thu:

Archived