Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone using Atmosphere?

DanS

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi, although most of the sounds and programming were done by mr. roland himself eric persing it has lots more gear than roland.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/atmos_gear.html

it is NOT mulitimbral, you have to rely on your sequencer/DAW to get several instances.

to me it is definitely worth it, but depends on what type of music you do.

Actually I think Eric says he used the virus and absynth more than any other synths.

richard sven

sound sculptist

Yep, sorry Myshell, I realized what you meant about 2 seconds after I hit the "Add Reply" button :rolleyes:

Eric Persing and his team are very approachable - I'm sure they'd be able to answer your quesion/s about compatibility with PT. They hang out on the Yahoo group called Spectrasonics . Good luck.

Cheers,

:DTR

It's amazing. If you've played with any of the Distorted Reality series, it's more like that than anything. Lots of evolving pads and textures, but solid bass and leads as well. The bells and vocal stuff are killer. Weird sound design textures to throw into a tune draw in your ear. Let's put it this way -- I just sold my Wavestation after getting this.

Atmosphere is NOT just a pad machine. This thing can do much more than that. The leads and basses are big and fat, and even the strings are pretty damn good. Lots of presets, and great support. Very generous with authorization, which is really handy for me since I work in the studio as much as live, needing to switch from desktops to laptops extremely often, as well as OSX and OS9!
Raul

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

Atmosphere is NOT just a pad machine. This thing can do much more than that. The leads and basses are big and fat, and even the strings are pretty damn good. Lots of presets, and great support. Very generous with authorization, which is really handy for me since I work in the studio as much as live, needing to switch from desktops to laptops extremely often, as well as OSX and OS9!

how convenient is it for live use?

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

I've used it on my laptop with garageband and DP. The problem of course is the patch changes. You kinda have to have one instance running per patch you're gonna use. But since my main thing is piano and synths aren't my main responsibility, it's not a deal breaker for me. It sounds great, and though I just said it's not just for pads, I DO love the pads on it. :thu:
Raul

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

I've used it on my laptop with garageband and DP. The problem of course is the patch changes. You kinda have to have one instance running per patch you're gonna use. But since my main thing is piano and synths aren't my main responsibility, it's not a deal breaker for me. It sounds great, and though I just said it's not just for pads, I DO love the pads on it. :thu:

So the only hassle is the Patch change and looks like you'll be able to run just 1 patch per song.?

Vinay Vincent,

BASE Studios

"Live Jazz friday nights at The Zodiac Bar"

Load time is helped on a laptop if you use a good firewire drive as most internal laptop drives are very slow. Atmosphere does not use disk streaming so on a 40 meg patch you load all 40 megs before you can play. The latest update is nice for LFO sync to host for those patches that actually use the synth engine for lfo. If the lfo effect is loop based then you still have not sync to host.

One thing to note, Atmosphere is very close to being a preset only instrument. While you do get a synth engine, that engine is not the basis that most sounds are created on. Eric P. used a huge collection of hardware and software, both instruments and effects, to build and sample those sounds. When someone records a Moog or Oberheim through $10,000 of effects, runing those sounds through simple VSTi filters does not do much for the sound. Imagine recording a pad from an Oberheim with a beautiful, extended filter sweep. Pulling that sample into a VSTi engine is not going to allow you to alter that origional patch. Only apply a second filter to the orgional recording.

But hey, when buying an expansion ROM for workstation most people never edit the presets. And the presets don't usually match up to the pads in Atmosphere. I considered it a speciality ROM and am very happy.

And if you want bass, nothing I have found matches up to Trilogy.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived