Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

split and the Nord Electro?

Tedly Nightshade

Hey y'all,

I know there's some Electro users here, so maybe you can definitively explain what I can't figure out from the website or the manual.

I see there's a lower zone, and an upper zone, which can be sent to different midi channels? And there's a "split" thing that seems to relate to organ only...

well here's what I need to do.

Hopefully I won't have to use 2 controllers which would be a total PITA.

I need to split the keyboard so the right hand is getting Electro sounds, and the left hand is sending midi velocity and what note for the keys bass module (Triton Rack FWIW).

That's basically what I need to do. The following would be gravy:

Have organ bass issuing from the Electro sometimes, and clavi bass issuing from the Electro sometimes, along with the keys bass sound from the Triton Rack.

That's not as important though as the necessity of sending left hand info to the Triton Rack, and not having the left hand make Electro noises. Actually I can keep the Triton Rack bass so it just doesn't sound on higher notes, maybe can I keep the Electro from sounding on lower notes?

Hopefully this is intelligible, and you all can see what I'm trying to do!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... not ignoring ya Ted... I just don't know the answer to this. I thought the NE couldn't splt anything via MIDI.

I also await a learned answer on this.

Here for the gear.

Originally posted by drawback:

... not ignoring ya Ted... I just don't know the answer to this. I thought the NE couldn't splt anything via MIDI.

I also await a learned answer on this.

Then why the upper zone and lower zone on different midi channels? Is that only for organ?

anyhow I hope there's some workaround I can manage to keep the keys out of the bass and the bass out of the keys and operate it all off one keyboard. I aim to order one if I can figure that out for sure.

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Ted,

I presume you are wanting to use an Electro as the controller for a Triton rack, correct? If so, you won't be able to get that sophisticated with the Electro.

You can do some of the things you want. Only the organ sounds can be done as a programmable split. So you could have a sound that has an organ bass in the lower 2 octaves and no sound above this (by programming 000000000 on the drawbars for the upper half of the split). Then you could program your Triton to be mapped to that range of keys. I believe that the Electro only transmits MIDI on one channel, though the organ will receive on two MIDI channels (upper and lower manual). I need to check and see if the TX for organ splits is over two channels - I don't think it can do this.

You cannot split the non-organ sounds (clav, EP) into various areas on the Electro. You would need some kind of a JL Cooper or other MIDI mapper module to set up this kind of more sophisticated layout. The Electro has very basic MIDI implementation and not much at all in the way of controller options.

Let me know if you have additional questions and I'll try to help.

Regards,

Eric

As was just stated, the Electro just sends one midi channel. The whole point of the 2nd midi channel is so that you can use a 2nd controller for the lower manual of the organ.

To achieve your first objective, you could operate the organ section with the split mode and put the lower half to 00000000 (silence) but you would then need the capacity on your module to only recognize notes below that split point since the Electro will send note information for the whole keyboard.

It would be great if the Electro could simultaneously produce organ AND EP sounds split however you want them, but alas it doesn't. :(

At this point I would settle for the split point being programmable instead of fixed, it's really giving me some headaches. :mad:

Generally, the Electro works great as a 'controlled' instrument, but not too good as a controller.

IIRC, a Clavia employee stated somewhere that their focus is on the instrument and performing, not MIDI features. It´s like the case of the awkward MIDI velocity recieve on the NE; it took them over a year to program 10 different velocity curves, and these only went fro 0 to 10; no negative values - and they don´t work for treating incoming MIDI velocity... Now that´s just plain stupid, if you ask me! :mad: Too bad they´re so damn good at what they do, if there was a soundwise equally good board that had more MIDI functionality, I´d switch right away! :rolleyes:

Hmmm.... hmmm....

thanks all for the responses! And that is lame that the organ split point is fixed. No excuse for that.

I'm hesitant to say I want to use it for a controller for the Triton Rack, since that thing is so absurdly complex- really I'm just trying to send velocity and note, nothing more. So 1 channel could be OK. It's just that it doesn't look like I can keep the Nord sounds out of the left hand except for organ at some arbitrary point.

Can you play organ and another sound at the same time? I see there is a separate organ out. I like to have organ on a volume pedal and fade it in and out of another sound (ep, clav) that's the main sound at the moment. Is that possible?

Looks like it's gonna be a workaround. I suppose I could go to a separate 2-octave controller for the bass module, something I will want to do anyway, or I could get a Nord Rack and a separate 61-key controller, maybe Roland A-37, but either way is more spaghetti than I hoped for. And 2 keyboard is a stand hassle. I put up with a lot of this kind of thing with my big main rig, but hoped this to be a tidy portable substitute if a bit of a compromise...

Any great workaround ideas?

Can you play organ and another sound at the same time? I see there is a separate organ out. I like to have organ on a volume pedal and fade it in and out of another sound (ep, clav) that's the main sound at the moment. Is that possible?
No. The Electro is monotimbral and you cannot play organ along with the other sounds. It would be a nice feature to have.

Here's what I suggest. If you really like the Triton, why not get a Triton keyboard and an Electro rack? Dealing with all that Triton horsepower in a 2U space is kind of an annoyance to begin with, so you may be happier to have the larger UI on the Triton keyboard. The Electro rack could perch on the Triton with a little velcro and you would have command of the drawbuttons. I expect the Triton is a heck of lot more sophisticated as a controller, so it would be easier to set up Performances that utilize various internal Triton sounds and Electro sounds as well.

Another suggestion would be to have the Triton keyboard along with the Electro keyboard, if you want to go the 2 keyboard route. The Electro is so small and light that this may be pretty easy as well.

The Electro is a fantastic, expressive instrument. However, it was not designed to be a sophisticated controller.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Eric

Hi Eric,

The Triton interface is a nightmare in my opinion. It would be awful to grope through on a stage. I only use the thing for bass sounds because it's the only thing I've been able to cajole into getting the bass sounds I want. I really regret the whole complicated interface and all the parameters and I pray I never have to deal with them on stage! :eek::eek:

On the other hand I really like the MP9000 interface- simple as could be, and looks old time to soothe my nerves. Electro interface also looks good as well as the Promega 3- Promega might have a workable bass sound for us, but it's still a big heavy thing. I do think the Electro rack setup is brilliant. In between that and my li'l drawbars controller for the XM-1 I could have comprehensive little set of realtime controls atop the right controller- but what controller? Not a lot of room on that Roland A-37 but most else looks to be cheap'n'junky and way too many controls to get lost in... and I wonder if another key action will suit the Electro half as well as it's own keys.

More to come...

Really the attraction is to something simple and small with it's own internal sounds- I'm assuming these sounds are a whole lot better than Yamaha and Korg (can't get into any of the other sounds in the Triton but this one bass patch modified) and the usual contenders, for y'all to be so into it and people talking about selling their rhodeses and clavis and all this outrageous talk you here. These sounds really are in a different class? I hope so.

BTW what do the Electro racks go for?

Archived