Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Synclavier...a mystery

Synthoid

I've been to several "vintage synth" websites....and some that offer sound samples of various synths and keyboards of the past, including the Fairlight, but so far, NOTHING from a Synclavier.

Anyone know of a website where I can actually download sounds or samples of this famous beast? Thanks.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick mp3 will do....not spending $199.95. :)

I can't believe with the vastness of the Internet, there isn't a place to just listen to a few sounds or a short song from the Synclavier--for free.

btw, I've got the 4 disc set of synclav samples of strings, brass,woodwinds,keys, perc, etc. and those are geat. I've also got the disc of the fm side of the synclav and don't care for that disc that much. I put a link earlier to it, but I wouldn't suggest you buy it. There are mp3 demos on all the links suggested.

The Synclavier is a music production system in itself, so the actual sounds are not as obvious as some other synths. The only time I've conciously heard the FM portion is on some Pat Metheny albums.

A friend of mine cut an album at the now-defunct Universal Recording in Chicago, and it was 99.9 percent Synclavier. It just sounded like really nice samples. Nicer than you could get anywhere else. Those Ilio discs are from the actual library, so they should give a good indication of what it sounded like.

But it sampled at 100khz, and it had a whopping 96 voices and 96 megs of sample ram back when SIMMs were $60 per megabyte. If I could justify it, I'd buy one right now, but even EXS24 blows it out of the water feature-wise.

"For instance" is not proof.

The Synclavier is a music production system in itself, so the actual sounds are not as obvious as some other synths.
That's what I figured after all this searching. Thanks......

Originally posted by zeronyne:

The only time I've conciously heard the FM portion is on some Pat Metheny albums.

Pat Metheny's soundtrack to "Falcon and the Snowman" has some great Synclavier sounds.

Archived