Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha, can we get better music stands?

Note to Yamaha and/or Mike Martin:

I'd like to make a suggestion for music stands that come with your digital pianos.

I know for sure this applies to P80 and P120, not sure about other models: the supplied music stand is not high enough. On the P120 and P80, the supplied stand was about 7 or 8" high. Standard sheet music is 11 or 12 inches high. The music stand is not high enough to properly support music. It may or may not work, but for a stage piano, there should be no guessing - it has to work reliably. You can't have your sheet music folding in half in the middle of a performance.

So please, on future stage pianos, if you supply a music stand, make it as high as the stand on a typical Yamaha grand, however many inches that is, probably between 10 and 12, I'd guess? And, the wider the better - wide enough for a 3-page chart would be good.

As it is now, I have to take a Manhasset music stand with me, which is a bit annoying since the piano already has its own music stand, but it's just not useable.

Here's an additional design tip: the music stand should be able to lie flat during transport. That means that the base of it (the part that the music sits on, the 1 1/2" wide piece that runs the length of the stand) should be on hinges so that it can be folded flat. And those little feet on the bottom of the music stand that stick into the keyboard should be movable so that they can lie flat, or better yet, be retractible so that they can be completely gotten out of the way during transport. With those little feet jutting out, and the base sticking out at a 90 degree angle, it can easily get damaged, or do damage to whatever else it's being transported with.

Thanks for listening.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A stand like the one made for the Kurzweil pc2 series would be a nice addition for Yamaha (I'm sure Mike is familier with this ;) ). It is a beautiful clear acrylic stand that would fit the needs of Mr. Anonymous. I am very pleased with mine!

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Quiklok makes a great music stand that attaches to the WS-550 stand. Its more than high enough and its wide enough to put 3 page scores on it. Too bad you'd have to spend $$$ for a KB stand with a good music stand for a small piano. :o

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I don't know what you're talking about. My music is perfectly supported by the P120 music stand. I'm using it all the time. It's not as high as the sheets go, but for sure I can read everything normally without the sheet folding or falling off.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

On a job where I use music I prefer to have the music basically flat. The ideal position for me would be the top of the page slighly raised. I'm thinking about making my own music stand for my P250 as the flat surface of the keyboard is deep enough for music to lay flat.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Superbobus:

I don't know what you're talking about. My music is perfectly supported by the P120 music stand. I'm using it all the time. It's not as high as the sheets go, but for sure I can read everything normally without the sheet folding or falling off.

Maybe this hasn't happened to you, SuperBobus, but it definately has happened to me - I'm not making it up, honest!

You wouldn't object if the music stand was 10 or 11" high all the way across instead of 7 1/2" at the highest point, and only 6" high on the sides, would you?

Originally posted by keyoctave:

A stand like the one made for the Kurzweil pc2 series would be a nice addition for Yamaha (I'm sure Mike is familier with this ;) ). It is a beautiful clear acrylic stand that would fit the needs of Mr. Anonymous. I am very pleased with mine!

I found a photo of it at Sweetwater ( DPC2MD stand for PC2 ) - looks pretty nice! How many inches high is it?

Is it removable? It looks like it bolts on.

Doesn't look like it could lie flat, though.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

On a job where I use music I prefer to have the music basically flat. The ideal position for me would be the top of the page slighly raised. I'm thinking about making my own music stand for my P250 as the flat surface of the keyboard is deep enough for music to lay flat.

Yea, I like that approach too - the back of it is slightly raised, a couple of inches maybe. Makes the music more invisible to the audience, gives you better sight lines, etc.

I used to like the Rhodes for that, big flat (or slightly rounded) surface on the top, great for piling music onto.

When I'm playing grand piano I often try to put the stand into that position, if it's one of the ones that will do it. Some of the Yamahas do that to a certain extent.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Quiklok makes a great music stand that attaches to the WS-550 stand. Its more than high enough and its wide enough to put 3 page scores on it. Too bad you'd have to spend $$$ for a KB stand with a good music stand for a small piano. :o

Mike T.

Mike, that sounds ok, I guess, but I'm not sure if it would be any better than taking along a portable Manhasset. I've got the "Stand-outs" on my Manhasset that make it a bit wider, wide enough for 3-pagers. Before I discovered the Stand-outs, I used to use two music stands on gigs with big charts.

Besides, you'd have to assemble/disassemble it on each gig, how much work is that?

You have to undo two LARGE wingnuts to pop the music stand out of the keyboard stand. The way you're doing it is probably more portable though. I saw some stands on line that look like decent quality (20 or 30 bucks) so that's probably the least expensive and most portable solution. I was just poking fun at Yamaha that you'd "have" to buy an additional stand and music stand for a P120 when they could have provided you with something more functional. Yes friends, even Yamaha isn't perfect. (They're darn close though). :)

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I found a photo of it at Sweetwater ( DPC2MD stand for PC2 ) - looks pretty nice! How many inches high is it?

Is it removable? It looks like it bolts on.

Doesn't look like it could lie flat, though.[/QB]

The stand is 9" high and 19" wide. It slides into a metal slot that attaches to the back of the keyboard, allowing you to remove it when you need to. It has felt on the stand frame so it fits snug into the support slot. It does not fold. The stand support rod is designed to line up with existing screws on the back of the PC2 series. I doubt that it will match anything on your Yamaha (and I'm sure you do not want to drill holes!) ;)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Originally posted by Mr. Anonymous:

Originally posted by Superbobus:

Maybe this hasn't happened to you, SuperBobus, but it definately has happened to me - I'm not making it up, honest!

You wouldn't object if the music stand was 10 or 11" high all the way across instead of 7 1/2" at the highest point, and only 6" high on the sides, would you?

Well, it never happened to me and I use the thing extensively. Did it happen on outside gigs. When I play outside I always use clothes pins to stick my sheets to the stand so they don't blow away.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Well, it never happened to me and I use the thing extensively. Did it happen on outside gigs. When I play outside I always use clothes pins to stick my sheets to the stand so they don't blow away.
It was on indoor gigs, using various types of charts: single sheets of 8 1/2 x 11, multi-page standard manuscript-size charts, etc. It doesn't always happen, but does sometimes, and even the possibility of it happening makes me nervous. I would feel more secure with a stand that was a few inches higher, and an even height all the way accross.

It would also be nice if it were high enough to attach a music light to, for dark stages. In order for that to happen, it has to be as high or higher than the highest music, which I think is about 11 1/2 or 12 " high.

I also sometimes have two or three fakebooks with me, the P120 stand is definitely no good for that unless the book is placed dead-center, and even then, certain softer books have a tendency to fold in the middle because the height is too low. If moved to the side, which is only 6" high, charts or books will fold over or fall off.

If this hasn't happened to you, that's great, but it has happened to me.

I also use clothes pegs outdoors, or sometimes a sheet of plexiglass.

Archived