Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland \ Boss DR670

Dave Horne

I would like to hear first hand comments from someone who owns and uses this model. I'm thinking about buying the DR880 when it becomes available and would like to know how the DR670 performs. (I figure the DR880 would do a better job or at least have more features.) My use would be just for jazz, swing and latin.

I spoke yesterday with a Roland tech (their US phone system works fantastic!) and he recommended the Jam Station for my needs.

Thoughts? Thanks.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by SteveRB:

There is a 10-minute video demo at www.rolandus.com You have to do a product search for "DR-880".

Steve, thanks. I saw that video several times. I would have liked to hear a demo of swing instead of mostly funk. There is still no owner's manual to download so I will just have to wait until Roland updates their site to learn more.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dave, speaking of the DR-880, I'm planning on getting one also. I spoke to my dealer the other day and he has a bunch of them ordered and should be seeing them mid September.

My only concern is getting "1.0" of anything. If anyone reading this thread has had any problems getting a new Roland model when it is first released, please post. Any experiences with a new model Roland drum machine would be helful. :)

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Dave I have a DR-770,

And it is very easy to program. I can make an MP3 of a couple of the swing patterns and post them. Let me know.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

I sold my 770 and 660... I can see the drum machine for funk and maybe bossas, but for jazz ? We sometimes play live and use an Abersold "drum track only" CDs which gives you the recording of a real jazz drummer (there are two discs so you get about 18 standards at different tempos and feels). Also for funk there is an excellant CD by drummer Bernard Purdie, he plays through each track without any loops, however we made a loop copy so the three minute tracks can extend for ever. I hate drum machines, they are so cheesy except for hip hop.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Well it's true drum machines will not give you All the Velocities a real drummer will. It definitely helps me lay down my ideas, where a metronome click can not.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Originally posted by b3player:

Dave I have a DR-770,

And it is very easy to program. I can make an MP3 of a couple of the swing patterns and post them. Let me know.

Since you own one, I do have a few questions. Does the unit generate its own bass lines based on the chords you program in? This might seem a basic question, but can you, 'on the fly', change the number of choruses before you call up the 'ending'?

If you wish to post a link for mp3's of your unit, I would, for one, appreciate it. Please make the link for everyone and not just me.

Wouldn't it be great if we could pay a small fee and rent a unit for month or so and decide if we would want to buy it?

Thanks in advance, Dave

Dave this unit will not do that as you have to program each bass note, This can be done in either real time or step recording. Songs are programmed by linking several patterns together. The patterns/loops can be as long as 80 beats long

Here is a link to the DR-770 at musicians friend, They have the demo song posted.

I will try to make some other files for you this weekend and post them.

DR-770 DR RHYTHM DRUM MACHINE

My Music Page

B3player, thanks for the additional info. I don't mind entering in my own bass lines, but having the machine doing it would save a lot of time.

Archived