Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Concert Design Piano Chair

gangsu

I can't recommend much in the way of gear around here :) but I did buy myself a really terrific piano chair recently. It looks much like an office chair, but of course it has no arms and it doesn't swivel. It's height adjustable with the touch of a lever, the seat can be tilted (helpful for young kids trying to reach the pedals), and it has a small adjustable and removable back support. I love it. I even take it with me to concert performances, because I prefer it over the adjustable padded benches provided with most grands, with those knobs that you turn and turn and finally discover you're going in the wrong direction.....

Here's a link. It's not exactly a gigging chair where space in your car is at a premium, but there is a case on wheels available which I bought as well. Excellent quality, and exhorbitant prices, but I don't regret making the purchase. I'd never go back to a hard wooden bench again.

Piano Chair

PS I do not work for or represent Concert Designs in any way. :thu:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped using a normal piano bench since I got a similar chair. The only difference is, I bought it at a regular furniture store, so I only spent a few bucks on it. The back is nearly full size, which could be annoying for some pianists, but I don't care, because of course, in normal playing, you never quite reach there. Plus, when I'm *really* tired and just want to move my fingers a bit or mess around with my own music, I admit that I do lean my back there. :) Both height and back inclination are adjustable with one touch. It *does* have wheels, so it does swivel, but this doesn't bother me, and it makes easier to carry it around the house for other uses.

For concert use, I have a rather comfortable "keyboardist" collapsable bench, which resides in my car permanently. On piano gigs, they usually provide a bench, but quite a few times, I've used mine instead, because the house one was broken, or couldn't be adjusted, or it was just less comfortable.

So - what other forumites are using for a chair?

I know the feeling about those knobs on benches, that's what my grandparents have on their leather bench by their steinway. I remember a few times turning the knob forever only to find I'm at the end of turning it and I'm farther from where I wanted to be. If I could get my hand on teh knobs that designed those knobs.

Originally posted by Immordino:

I know the feeling about those knobs on benches, that's what my grandparents have on their leather bench by their steinway. I remember a few times turning the knob forever only to find I'm at the end of turning it and I'm farther from where I wanted to be. If I could get my hand on teh knobs that designed those knobs.

Uhhhh, huh huh... he said "knobs"... :D

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

A few months ago I started using a good padded drum stool while practicing. They are cheap for what you get, the height adjustment range is more than a piano bench, they swivel, and they collapse so you can tote them on the road.

Before then I was using an old-timey piano stool, which wasn't quite level and wasn't padded, so I ended up with a sore ass after a lengthy practice session.

I have had to get used to being unable to slide while playing, which is OK as long as I get properly positioned before I start.

I consider this a good alternative to piano and keyboard benches, which don't adjust high enough for me anyway, and which aren't as comfey.

Bartolomeo.

We've had a piano in our house for over 12 years but never bought a proper bench. We just use a dining room chair.

I've always wanted an adjustable satin ebony spade-leg bench (to match the piano) with the "knob & scissor jack" type mechanism and a padded leather seat. The problem is the cost.

Over ten years ago I bought an expensive office chair ($500+) and have been very happy with it. I just use it in my living room with my main piano and just had it recovered. I took the arms off years ago as they got in the way when playing and could also maar the front of the piano.

If I had to do over again I think a basic office type chair from Ikea would do the trick. (I came into some money at that time and treated myself to something I would not have ordinarily bought.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived