Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stephen Fortner, here's an idea for a Keyboard feature.....

I  I mjrn

How about a Keyboard interview with Clint Eastwood? :cool::D

He's been a long-time jazz & R&B enthusiast whose movies, like Play Misty For Me, 'Round Midnight or his film for the PBS Year of the Blues series, have often featured storng musical elements plus he plays piano well & writes a lot of his own soundtrack music.

Possible areas of discussion might be :

What developed his earliest interest in music.

How he decided what instrument(s) to learn.

His learning processes as a player.

His compostional interests.

How he decides when to write soundtrack themes & when to have others do them.

How he decides to arrange/orchestrate for film themes; setting tempos or the approach to the setting (dramatic? lighthanded?).

Does he ever cut/trim scenes to fit the musical elements or only the music to fit the scene?

Does he use modern gear/technology to compose or record or only traditional live orchestration?

Does he play piano on any of his film soundtracks?

I'm sure others may have more ideas, too.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've actually been kicking this idea around for awhile. I've spoken to his publicist a couple of times, in fact, most recently during the last Oscar season when Clint and his people were really busy with "Mystic River," which IMHO should have gotten more awards than it did.

Getting the story can be a tricky thing... it's a question of writer, editor, artist, publicist, and artist's management all seeing the value in an interaction... at the same time, no less. Sometimes, things are auspicious, and everyone gets enthused at once, as was the case when I pitched the story on Mike Garson.

I think it's a great idea, and I'll certainly do everything in one humble correspondent's power to make it happen sometime soon. Tell you what, if you'd like to see Eastwood in the pages of Keyboard, post on this thread, and when it gets nice and big, I'll make it part of a renewed pitch to the powers that be.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Getting the story can be a tricky thing... it's a question of writer, editor, artist, publicist, and artist's management all seeing the value in an interaction... at the same time, no less.
You've got to ask yourself one question Steve: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya punk?

Sorry :o

Originally posted by Michael Jackson's real nose:

He's been a long-time jazz & R&B enthusiast whose movies, like Play Misty For Me, 'Round Midnight or his film for the PBS Year of the Blues series, have often featured storng musical elements plus he plays piano well & writes a lot of his own soundtrack music.

Hey Michael, Clint has directed "Bird" - Bernard Tavernier is the director for "'Round Midnight".

And while you're at it Stephen,

Sometime before this year gets over and done with,how about a Jan Hammer special issue about his excellent work on "Miami Vice",with all of the trimmings(anecdotes,transcriptions,Fairlight etc.)

Jan Hammer had the dream gig of all time-He not only composed the music but produced it as well and was given free reign by Michael Mann to do whatever he saw fit....that is really rare in todays climate and it should be,by all rights,duly recognized...

Plus it would help bust "Keyboard" out of it's editorial rut-You actually ran an interview with Barry Mann one time about a decade ago and we just don't see stuff like that anymore amidst this "computer insanity".....so to speak..

how about a Jan Hammer special issue about his excellent work on "Miami Vice",with all of the trimmings(anecdotes,transcriptions,Fairlight etc.)
I'm pretty sure Keyboard already ran this article when it was current news, back in the early to mid 80's. If I'm not mistaken, Jan was on the cover and there was a nice big spread on his Miami Vice work. Not sure if people would get as much from it today. I'd be glad to dig into my archive and email you the article, if I can find it.

I would like to see something about Clint Eastwood and I would also like to know what ever happened to Phil Johnstone (keyboard player on Robert Plant's solo albums). Oh yeah, while you're at it - how about something new on Kyle Hollingsworth of String Cheese Incident?

Regards,

Eric

If we are talking a little jazz here. I would like to see maybe a small feature section in keyboard outlining jazz players. Maybe interviews or blurbs. I know there are certain keyboard mag's that have jazzers but I find it a little less than I like.

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

Originally posted by eric:

Oh yeah, while you're at it - how about something new on Kyle Hollingsworth of String Cheese Incident?

Regards,

Eric

Yeah, that´d be nice! IIRC, he was featured in a small interview and gear chat a few years back.

Clint Eastwood would be a great idea, I remember a scene where he played jazz piano in a hotel lobby - until then, I only thought his son (Kyle?) was a musician. He seems to have done a lot of work behind the scenes; Bird, Krall, the blues piano documentary. It´s always nice with a little crossbreeding of genres. Btw, 'Mystic River' is a great film; a great story and great actors brought together by great direction, that´s a film that´s gonna last. The theme and feeling reminds me a bit of 'Unforgiven', although very different on the surface, they seem to deal with many of the same issues. IMO, Clint is a rather underrated director, and I´d love to hear some of his thoughts on music!

/J :cool: nas

Originally posted by Michael Jackson's real nose:

Possible areas of discussion might be :

What developed his earliest interest in music.

How he decided what instrument(s) to learn.

His learning processes as a player.

His compostional interests.

How he decides when to write soundtrack themes & when to have others do them.

How he decides to arrange/orchestrate for film themes; setting tempos or the approach to the setting (dramatic? lighthanded?).

Does he ever cut/trim scenes to fit the musical elements or only the music to fit the scene?

Does he use modern gear/technology to compose or record or only traditional live orchestration?

Does he play piano on any of his film soundtracks?

I'm sure others may have more ideas, too.

Nice idea.

In his Piano Blues for PBS he showed fragments of a lot of clips. Many were familiar but he had a few I had never seen before. Wish someone would collect the originals together on a DVD. These were really more interesting to me than the new content.

Also, try to get an interview with Eastwood's long-time score composer Lenny Neihaus. Most of the music that is used in his films is in collaboration with Niehaus ( who is a great jazz sax player and composer.)

Originally posted by Stephen Fortner:

Getting the story can be a tricky thing... it's a question of writer, editor, artist, publicist, and artist's management all seeing the value in an interaction... at the same time, no less. Sometimes, things are auspicious, and everyone gets enthused at once, as was the case when I pitched the story on Mike Garson.

You are so right on there needing to be a confluence of events for it to work. I recently interviewed Cyndi Lauper and her band for a mag I write for, and it took six months of hard slog to actually get the interview. Even on the morning of the interview I didn't know until I arrived at the venue whether it would actually happen. I'm currently nine months into a negotiation with another well known artist, with no guarentees as yet.

That's why I always love reading musician profiles as I understand the hard work that goes into getting them ;)

Originally posted by Dave the Rave:

I wonder how many other famous people there are around with "hidden" musical talents?

Well, John Carpenter, for one, knows his way around music and synthesizers. He did the music for a few of his movies, and helped for the electronic parts in others.

• 2 months later...

So how's it coming, Mr. Fortner?

Thanks to all posting with endorsements of this idea, especially to Marino for his correction & to Mojazz for his tip about Eastwood's arranger/scorer, Lenny Neihaus.

Eastwood is, as I said, interesting not just for his interest in music & his playing keyboards but for his composing of themes for the films he makes & the way he may incorporate those into the structure of the work. That's a combination that's probably with few precedents, at least at the level at which he works.

BTW, there was an in depth piece on Hammer's Miami Vice work, one of several the magazine did covering him.

I was thrilled when I first saw Clint playing some nice jazz piano in "In The Line of Fire." It's always a great surprise to see someone who is talented in one aspect but then has another hidden talent, like his. I didn't know he did any scoring work, it would be wonderful to hear some more about him.

Loxley11

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

Archived