Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Latest Rush Show Commentary

Squids

Saw Rush tonight. Man... what a disappointment. They didn't play one song from Signals (one of the best IMO) and they only played Limelight, Tom Sawyer and YYZ (which was all amazing but...). Everything else was fairly loud and boring. They have so many great classic songs they could have played. I am sure they must be bored of them but the fans aren't. I haven't heard some of those songs in years and I was kind of expecting to hear more than 3 or 4 of them!

Bummer. Oh well. I haven't seen them in a long time so I suppose that magic was lost years ago. I think if you are a keyboard player then the best stuff was around Signals and before. There was hardly any keys tonight or bass pedals... or even a Rickenbacker bass! That is his signature sound! Instead it was a muddy P-Bass. I love Precisions but his bass needs that Ricky sound to cut through.

Any comments on Rush? Maybe I am being harsh. I don't know. It just could have been so much better. I saw them on the Signals and Grace Under Pressure tour and it was awesome. I guess you could say this about almost any classic rock band.... although when I saw YES recently they did play quite a lot of classic material. It WAS their anniversary tour though. That's the one to see. Rush should do one of THOSE... especially at this point. But, the place WAS packed. So what do I know?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised. I've seen Rush 5 or 6 times, and this last time in Chicago earlier this month, they were in great form. Maybe they're getting tired.

When I went, they played "Subdivisions", "Limelight", "Tom Sawyer", "The Spirit of Radio", "Freewill", "Red Barchetta" and "YYZ" from what I consider their golden "post prog" years.

They also did a really nice medley (which I'm not usually into) at the beginning with "Cygnus X1", "Anthem", "Road to Bangkok", among others.

Of course they played almost every song from Vapor Trails, but that's to be expected.

I thought it was a decent mix of tunes, but I heard people grumbling that they should play some more old stuff.

Sorry you caught them on a bad night!

"For instance" is not proof.

Wow, I saw a very different show on July 9 at Shoreline Ampitheatre here in the Bay Area. They played for over three hours, and the show was filled with old material. They played "By-Tor and the Snow Dog", for Pete's sake. :eek: They also played some cover tunes off their new album -- including what has to be the best "Crossroads" I've ever seen.

Yeah, they played some newer stuff too. But the Signals and previous stuff probably outnumbered newer tunes by 2-to-1. In fact, if I was a very young fan, I might have been disappointed that the more recent albums weren't better represented.

They were calling the tour their anniversary tour, BTW. Geddy actually made a pretty big deal about it at one point.

Either the Bay Area got a special night, or your town got an off night. Or maybe both.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

I caught 'em last month when they swung through the Seattle area and I thought it was the best show of the 14 I've been to since the Signals tour. They played "Subdivisions" (from Signals) as they have on every date of the tour, plus "Red Sector A" on which Geddy doesn't even wear a bass - it's all keys!

He also plays a few Fender Jazz basses all night - no Precisions in his arsenal.

Here's the setlist for the tour - there's a hell of a lot of old material and a good balance from the second half of their career; I was quite happy with the selection (but I don't really need to hear "Tom Sawyer" or "Limelight" anymore - I'd love if they played ALL of their most recent stuff)...

Rush - 30th Anniversary Tour Setlist

Finding My Way->

Anthem->

Bastille Day->

A Passage To Bangkok->

Cygnus X-1 (Prologue)->

Hemispheres (Prelude)

The Spirit of Radio

Force Ten

Animate

Subdivisions

Earthshine

Red Barchetta

Roll The Bones

Bravado

YYZ

The Trees (I Feel Fine & Daytripper ending)

The Seeker

One Little Victory

Tom Sawyer

Dreamline

Secret Touch

Between the Wheels

Mystic Rhythms

Red Sector A

Drum Solo

Resist (acoustic-Geddy and Alex)

Heart Full of Soul (acoustic-Geddy/Alex/Neil)

2112 (Overture/Temples of Syrinx/Grand Finale)

La Villa Strangiato

By-Tor and the Snow Dog (abbreviated)

Xanadu

Working Man (reggae ending)

Encore:

Summertime Blues

Crossroads

Limelight

Originally posted by Squids:

Saw Rush tonight. Man... what a disappointment. They didn't play one song from Signals (one of the best IMO) and they only played Limelight, Tom Sawyer and YYZ (which was all amazing but...). Everything else was fairly loud and boring. They have so many great classic songs they could have played. I am sure they must be bored of them but the fans aren't. I haven't heard some of those songs in years and I was kind of expecting to hear more than 3 or 4 of them!

Right cause after all they stopped making new material in 1984.....

This type of thread always pisses me off and is tyhe reason I rarely participate in forums for bands i like. Rush is a band that has been around for 30 years and has produced 24 or 25 albums. that is well over a Day's worth of material. Since most concerts are 3.5 hours max you have a fairly low chance of hearing every song you want. Its akin to winning multiple lotteries.

Go next year maybe you'll like the setlist a bit better. But the setlist has nothing to do with the quality of the band's music. BTW Geddy has been playing a (I think theycall it prodigy)(fender jazz body with jazz/p-bass pickup.)

bass for a long time I think as far back as the Presto tour, maybe even Hold your Fire.

Andy

-The Magician-

Damn it, bleen

I received 2 tickets to see Rush on 8/15 and I'm taking an old friend from college. They were his favorite band 20 years ago (now, he listens to reggae almost exclusively...go figure). I told him that I like to take off just before the show ends because getting out of the venue parking lot can take an hour if you wait until the end of a show.

So, thanks for nothing, bleen. Now I HAVE to see the encore.

Originally posted by The Magician:

Right cause after all they stopped making new material in 1984.....

This type of thread always pisses me off and is tyhe reason I rarely participate in forums for bands i like. Rush is a band that has been around for 30 years and has produced 24 or 25 albums. that is well over a Day's worth of material. Since most concerts are 3.5 hours max you have a fairly low chance of hearing every song you want. Its akin to winning multiple lotteries.

Go next year maybe you'll like the setlist a bit better. But the setlist has nothing to do with the quality of the band's music. BTW Geddy has been playing a (I think theycall it prodigy)(fender jazz body with jazz/p-bass pickup.)

bass for a long time I think as far back as the Presto tour, maybe even Hold your Fire.

Andy

-The Magician-

Whoah, easy there. No one is doubting the quality of the bands music.

And you are wrong about the bass. He plays a 70's Jazz bass with a tinned neck. In fact, the three he plays on stage are Geddy Lee model Fender Jazzes, and they have nothing but nice normal Jazz pickups in them. He used to also play Wals, Steinbergers and Rickenbackers, but he rarely records with anything but his Jazz.

I don't know why this thread in particular would "piss you off". Squids was just stating that he would have liked to have heard some more tunes from the time period that was their most popular. I'd tend to agree, since this was not the Vapor Trails II Tour. It's not akin to winning multiple lotteries to expect to hear all the "hits", especially at an anniversary tour. Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that they didn't pull out MORE 70's tunes from their catalog.

But, relax, dude. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. No one is harshing your band.

"For instance" is not proof.

It must be a bitch to have to play your 25-year-old songs over and over to avoid pissing off your audience. What song did YOU write 25 years ago? Do YOU want to play them every night?

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Their playing was still great. Actually, some more mistakes than I remember them doing (especially Neil who use to always be spot on... or at least how I remember). But that's understandable and fine.

I agree with everyone's points. It's true. They must be bored to death of the old stuff. The facial expression on Neil's face looked like "Come on, keep playing... need the money...". Just kidding. But he looked pretty emotionless. Geddy and Alex seemed to be having a good time. It was Geddy's birthday I think.

So it was a Fender Jazz then. Still, I liked the signature sound of his Ricky 4001 and to boot the bass was muddy in the mix. It was also ummm... freakin' LOUD as #$*#()#$*!!!!!! I mean, painfully loud. I had amazing seats. Row 6. But I almost wanted to sit in the lawn so it I could hear the music without the pain.

Red Sector was killer. I missed the first couple of songs so I didn't know they did Subdivisions and Spirit. I would have liked those. But there were those covers and bluesy things... I am sure they are just bored and wanting to do something different. Definitely a conscious effect to do less keys. Hey, they are entitled to do what they want of course. I was just expressing that I miss seeing Rush when they used to play a lot of lush synth sounds and real melodic stuff.

All I know is that there were a bunch of songs I was just totally bored with that seemed to go nowhere. I am not a fan of the new stuff so maybe that was it. I don't mean to offend anyone who is. Just my opinion. Perhaps I am just comparing it to the YES anniversary show I saw where only a small percentage was new stuff. They played one song from Big Generator and not even one from 90125 and not one from several other new albums (and not just because they didn't have Rabin... because they still did Rhythm of Love).

Anyway... each person's tastes are different. It was better than seeing most shows still I am sure. I can't help it that I was genuinely disappointed. But I did get to see some great old Rush shows years ago. Perhaps that's the problem... and yes, maybe someone younger would prefer to hear the newer stuff. Oh well. You can't win when you have 30 years+ of albums to play. Same stuff with Genesis. Who really wants to hear Invisible Touch?

C'mon people, get a grip! You guys are complaining after having had the chance to see Rush live some 6 or 7 times over the years, while the poor South-American here had to wait more than 15 years to actually see them live! Now that does not mean I will not try to catch one of the next US gigs when I travel stateside (10 hours in a plane) to go fetch my Andromeda...hmm, perhaps... As for the setlist, I also have my favorites and the not-quite-so, but am sure the favorites beat the not-quite-so by a vast margin. Not true to many rock/prog bands, BTW.

Originally posted by Squids:

...Same stuff with Genesis. Who really wants to hear Invisible Touch?

Ditto! Aaaaarrrgh...Makes Madonna sound like cool jazz in comparison.
"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

Whoah, easy there. No one is doubting the quality of the bands music.

And you are wrong about the bass. He plays a 70's Jazz bass with a tinned neck. In fact, the three he plays on stage are Geddy Lee model Fender Jazzes, and they have nothing but nice normal Jazz pickups in them. He used to also play Wals, Steinbergers and Rickenbackers, but he rarely records with anything but his Jazz.

I don't know why this thread in particular would "piss you off". Squids was just stating that he would have liked to have heard some more tunes from the time period that was their most popular. I'd tend to agree, since this was not the Vapor Trails II Tour. It's not akin to winning multiple lotteries to expect to hear all the "hits", especially at an anniversary tour. Frankly, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that they didn't pull out MORE 70's tunes from their catalog.

But, relax, dude. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. No one is harshing your band.[/QB]

Sorry I just tweak every time this type of thread comes up since they seem to be very pervasive on forums and Bulletin boards in the past and quite frankly they drive me to skin peeling insanity :freak: ! So, I apologize.

On other notes thanks for the catch on the Jazz bass I could have sworn that There was something different about his bass, but I thought it was in the pickups. Also, I have personally never been big on the "loose" sound of the Ricks (I know I'm a Heritic) I much prefer the Fender Jazz Sound.

any case everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just refuse to allow a band to be judged by their most recent setlist.

Andy

Archived