Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Deadlines and Compromise

Have you ever sent something out that you knew was not of the caliber or quality of what you're capable of, just to meet a deadline? I had final exams last week and an old client contacted me to do another interactive CD ROM presentation for a trade show that was to take place in 2 weeks. Rather than spread myself too thin and produce crap, I refered him to another designer I know. I've compromised before and it just doesn't feel right in my gut (to me or my client). I'd imagine the same situations could arise in sound design. Have any of you ever felt the crunch of deadlines and how do you deal with it?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's some timing. I just got off the phone with my partner attempting damage control with a long time client. The fault can go both ways so I won't bore you with the details - the problem is how hard can you push someone to get their act together? I do multimedia too, so you know 99% of the time when someone says they need it in two weeks, it's just that day they woke up and you'll be nagging them for the whole two weeks to hold up their end of providing useable content. Handing off the job is not something I usually consider, because in my long experience, the other guy won't have it any easier with the rush client so you still have a disatisfied client/ex-client, you recommended them and you didn't make a dime. I guess for a recording studio situation, you fellows would ask if you're supposed to be recording or running a rehearsal hall playground.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

Archived