Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Neighbor got murdered last night.

We were having dinner last night when we heard 3 loud pops outside. We live in a kind of sketchy neighborhood and have gunfire a few times in the past year or so - usually it's just some moron firing their new "9" into the air. This time it was more serious. A guy 6 houses down was sitting on his front porch when someone came up and shot him. He died at the hospital. Don't know what he was mixed up in but he left behind a girlfriend and two small children. So much for their christmas. Strangely, I'm not that shocked or disturbed by this as I should be. Just kind of feel unsettled. Weird.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A guy in my apt complex was murdered about a month ago. As soon as my lease is up I'm running to the hills. That really sucks about the kids though. Somebody should throw something together like a Christmas fund or something for them. A little news coverage could make a world of difference for them.

Sorry to hear that, man. It's bad enough to get your ass killed at any time of year, but it's particularly harsh right now. For the rest of their lives, the girlfriend and kids will remember the holidays more for this event than the joy they're supposed to bring. [quote][b]Strangely, I'm not that shocked or disturbed by this as I should be. Just kind of feel unsettled.[/b][/quote]I'm not going to say that you [i]should[/i] feel a certain degree of shock. But sometimes these things take a while to settle in, even with people who you feel much closer to than your neighbor. - Jeff

Yeah, that does suck. Did you know him? Even if you didn't, something like that does take time to realize the power of. When my uncle died a couple of years ago, I was in shock. I knew he was going to die, as he wasn't getting any better from the brain cancer. But after just coming home from a school soccer game, which they had won, I had this overwhelming sense of "WTF". Same thing with my cousin when he committed suicide. I was working at Boy Scout camp, my first year working after several as a camper, and the news was just completely shocking. I knew he had been on the acid for a while, as well as some other stuff, but that was the epitome of WTF?. But anywho, just pray for them in this time of supposed-to-be-happiness. And know that whoever did this will get theirs.

Archived