Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland JV2080 or XV3080?

eric

Hey folks!

I've been on vacation for over 2 weeks and that gave me a lot of time to create insatiable gear lust. Sitting on the beach drinking beer and other spirits can do that to a person.

So I have been missing a little Roland in my rig (S90 & Electro w/Micro Modular). I have an affinity for the JV series, having used a JV880 from 1992-2000 and a JV1010 on a couple of other occasions. The JV2080 is reasonable on the used market and was the Big Brother of the JV rack synths. It seems to be a good synth if I wanted some JV love in my rig.

Which brings me to the quandary. For not much more, I could get an XV3080. I have minimal experience with the XV racks, though I have played an XV88 at length and also had a V-Combo with SRX boards, same sound engine basically. Would you folks recommend adding a little dough to step up to the 3080 or should I just go for the bargain with the 2080????

Yes, I am aware that this adding yet another rompler. I have issues with polyphony shortages on the S90 when I create big splits/stacks, so I would like to have another bread and butter rompler and would like to get the Roland sound back in there.

Thanks,

Eric

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Eric,

I'd go for the XV series over the JV. Conceptually they're quite similar, but the XV's have better convertors, and I actually do hear a difference. Plus, I think there's value to it being a more recent (and thus recentl;y-supported) product.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

XV3080. but i'd even go for XV5050 if i could..

it sounds even better. all 44.1kHz thru-out, no ROM up-sampling used as on XV5080 and XV3080. Practical USB connection plus editor. small.

JV2080 - if u own it great/usable, if not, XV series is affordable and far better in horsepower and fidelity..

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

If you have polyphony issues with a 64 voice S90, your only Roland choice in that $500 or so price range is the 128 voice XV-3080. But did you like your XV-88? The 3080 is exactly the same thing in a rack. However, it would be my choice over the 2080 and 5050...I'm thinking about replacing my JV-1080 with one. My reasons are the 128 voices and the similar front panel to a 1080...after 10 years I'm very good at tweaking from the front panel and don't especially want to do it from an unfamiliar computer program.

I looked on ROLAND\'S SITE. All they featured was the XV-5050 and the XV2020. It looks like they've pared their current selection.

This is the XV-5050:

http://www.rolandus.com/images/products/keyboards_synths/XV-5050-front_mh.gif

We've come a long way with synth modules & romplers, huh?

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Or have we? Roland unveils their 128 voice XV line a few years back, then replaces them with 64 voice XV's and Fantoms. Never have understood that one...

Robert/rabid is right. The SRX patches are superior to the stock XV patches.

When I owned my 3080, I rarely used the stock patches, I used SRX sounds 90 % of the time.

I sold my 3080 for $620 last January and I consider that

lucky. Just make sure you do not overpay for the Xv module since, IMO, the XR fantom is far superior.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Originally posted by Bill H.:

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Or have we? Roland unveils their 128 voice XV line a few years back, then replaces them with 64 voice XV's and Fantoms. Never have understood that one...
Marketing and more specifically, product positioning. If I was looking for an answer to your question, this is where I would look first.

:cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Is there Gas, you nailed it. That was a 2 year time period where I ignored Roland 'packaging '.

Fortunately 2004 was better with the Fantom X lineup

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

The Fantom X is definitely cool sounding...the first Roland that's got me thinking about replacing my aging XP-60 in my live setup. But the front panel layout is all wrong for on-the-fly gigging...the main volume control is way up above the keys instead of where Roland used to put it...conveniently next to the pitch-mod lever. And what is it with those numbered pads? You can't change patches with them! I guess Roland thinks musicians are supposed to be organized and have everything all set up beforehand...like I was ever organized in my life...

Archived