Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your favorite performance controller?

Squids

Wheels? Knobs? Sliders? Short pressure sensitive Ribbons? Long CS80 like Ribbons? Roland pitch wheel? Vector stick? Foot controller? Breath?

I like them all. But I think one of my favorites has to be short pressure sensitive ribbons. Also, wheels as a second. I think one of the most under-rated keyboards is the Yamaha EX-5 (which I still have) and it had 3 wheels and a pressure sensitive ribbon controller (and a breath control input... although I rarely use breath control, I like the idea).

What controllers do you like to use the most for performance?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Squids:

I like them all. But I think one of my favorites has to be short pressure sensitive ribbons. Also, wheels as a second.

Short pressure sensitive ribbons first, followed by long-throw joysticks. Then wheels. :D

Those little ribbons are just wonderful. I wish everyone had them.

Jerry

i just got a korg prophecy and the 'log' is different from any other control type i've used.

i'm still getting used to it, but can see a lot of potential.

i had a Z1 for a while and really liked the x/y pad.

the ribbon on my an1x is also quite nice, as is the long ribbon on the k2600.

3 wheels, like on the ex5 and ion are also pretty slick.

i don't care too much for the roland type thing (mod/pitch combined).

i got really used to the paddles on my matrix 6, but wouldn't want to go back to them.

almost forgot about breath controllers - i need better technique - i tend to get winded and slobber a little.

pedals are also nice.

Originally posted by Squids:

Wheels? Knobs? Sliders? Short pressure sensitive Ribbons? Long CS80 like Ribbons? Roland pitch wheel? Vector stick? Foot controller? Breath?

All of the above!! (And you forgot aftertouch... :D )

Especially....

- Wheeeeeels

- Kurz ribbon (the long one!)

- Breath Controller (Yamaha, I'm *still* waiting for that new, perfectioned model which senses lips pressure other than breath pressure!) :)

1. Aftertouch. It's not just for vibrato anymore...

2. X-Y Pad with Hold, non-hold option (Z1)

3. It's hard to beat the good old mod wheel actually

4. I think I prefer sliders to knobs. Knobs are great for going "up" -- left to right, that is, but turning "down," right to left with the left hand is ergonomically...un-ergonomic :freak: Yet,for programming, I think I prefer knobs.For performance, sliders.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Is it just me or is it kind of a bummer on the Roland joystick how short the modulation aspect is and how it springs back. I can appreciate it's use sometimes though but if that's all I had I'd be pretty unsatisfied. One of the coolest things Roland did was put BOTH that and a pitch wheel/modwheel on the A50 and A80. Incidentally those two had polyaftertouch too btw. Too bad no ribbon controller though.

The ultimate keyboard controller for me has three wheels, a pressure ribbon, 76 or 88 keys, polyaftertouch, 8 sliders, 8 knobs, breath control, 2 FS, 2 FC. (hey, that's why I'm a Squid! :D )

Short ribbons! short ribbons! best vibrato control ever created for a keyboard...

Then breath control, though I have to learn to control it better, and real mod wheel, not the Roland-style spring-loaded Y-axis POS.

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Archived