Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ISO "Funk Demo Workstation"

I am the singer/saxist/songwriter in my funk/rock/pop band, and I'm interested in finding a keyboard workstation that will allow me to get my songs down in demo form to give to my bandmates so that they can learn them. I don't care a ton about having the highest-quality sounds (since I'm mainly interested in creating relatively quick demo's for bandmates' ears), but something that would allow a full vocal track alongside the MIDI instruments would be great. I was considering a Triton Studio, but I'm wondering if that'd be overkill for my purposes.

I'm only a marginal keys player, but I know enough to input basslines and other parts that I write on other instruments. The concept of an all-in-one-keyboard-based-demo-production-machine has always enticed me. It seems like it would be a relatively quick and painless way to get demo's down. I'm somewhat of a techno-phobe, and I haven't had much luck trying to produce demo's with Sonar, inputing one instrument at a time (looping a drum beat, inputing bass guitar, guitar, keys, sax, vocals) -- it takes freakin' forever! I need something quick and painless. Any suggestions?

All your bass are belong to us!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can say is that the Triton's sequencer is ridiculously easy to use. You won't go wrong. It can swing quantize, and time sig changes are no problem. I start a lot of projects with the Triton sequencer and export the sequence to my DAW for more detailed stuff later.

good luck

You say you export your tracks to your DAW, but is that necessary? Couldn't you just do it all on the Triton? Or should I say, could *I* do it all on the Triton (vocals included) for the purpose of creating my little funk/rock demos? I really like the all-in-one concept. I don't care for the big cable mess that inevitably comes with hooking machine to machine to machine.

Is the Triton capable of pumping out the funk? The only Triton demo's I ever hear seem to be atomspheric trance-like "keyboard music." Not my thing. I want to loop some funky drums, lay down a phat bassline, layer in some wah wah guitar, clav, rhodes, sax, vocals, etc. Anyone out there have any songs in this style (or rock or reggae or jazz or basically anything that doesn't sound like strictly "keyboard music") that they've done entirely on the Triton? 'Cause I'd very much like to hear it.

Thanks,

Andy

All your bass are belong to us!

Archived