Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Herbie Hancock's Gear

hermanjoe

Does anyone know what keyboards Herbie used on his "Future 2 Future" live dvd? I know he has a korg karma and a steinway grand. What keyboard does he use to get his rhodes and clav sounds?

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Darrel Diaz, musical director/keyboardist for Future2Future Tour:

"All the electric pianos that you hear, all the samples and a lot of the lead sounds are generated by the computer. We're using Reason and we're using ES1 from Emagic, and The EVP 88 from Emagic for our Rhodes and the EXS 24 from Emagic. And then Logic is controlling all the switching"

As for the actual keyboard Herbie is using as a controller, I don't know what it is. It doesn't really matter though, does it? Just find a controller with a feel that you like.

That is great. I have an Apple Power Book G4 but I have been afraid to use it live. I just don't know if i want to enter that realm. Playing locally theres limited setup time and pressure ect...For recording, sounds like a plan!

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

That was at least 29 months ago when he said he was using that set up. Herbie changes his set ups often.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I* saw his "Future 2 Future" DVD. He's playin' a grand piano and for synth/brass sound he uses a Korg Karma as a main board AND controller for his Mac. Darrel Diaz uses two boards - one as main, the other as controller for the other Mac. In the DVD he's the one that plays Rhodes sounds, synth sounds and all the soundscapes. Herbie is doing acoustic piano and only some old time synth/brass licks (wich reminded me his 70's sound)

Regards

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Archived