Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I say, good people, I am judiciously considering purchasing a Macintosh computer

:):):):):)

:confused:

Seriously, it sounds like a plan, maybe. What got me started on this was superbobus's thread about the Rhodes sound in garageband.

I could use a new computer anyway. I'm currently using a P2/800mHz/W98SE/64mb relic, and the CD Rom drive doesn't work on it. Getting a lot more error messages than I used to... It sure would be nice to have a new computer.

But I'm also in the market for a good synth, and I'm on a budget. Until I saw the recent threads about GarageBand on this forum, I had no idea what it could do. I was really jazzed about it there for a day or two.

Then I started doing some research. I found the GarageDoor site, but overnight they seemed to drop their user forums, perhaps because there were too many complaints about latency/MIDI timing slop? I did see a few threads about that issue.

So now I don't know. Of course it looks like the thing is also a decent MIDI sequencer and hard disk recorder--do I have that right? Only being able to record 2 tracks at a time would fine by me--that's all I need.

I must say, Apple could do a better job of promoting this thing. I've found the most detailed info about it right here on this forum. Like the fact that you can use it as a host for audio units--they're not playing that up too much, are they?

Personally, I wouldn't have much use for all the "loops" but since it comes free with a new computer anyway, who cares?

I am most interested in exploring the "softsynth" realm. I may be doing some occasional gigs too, and would love it if the organ sounds were up to par. It has the EVB3 engine in it, somebody said?

But I'm really concerned about latency and timing slop. Don't know as I could afford a G5, I'd probably have to go with a G4. So maybe this isn't such a good idea for me right now.

What do you fine pholks think?

Oh, well, it's something to keep in mind for the future, anyway. ;):wave:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From someone who has both full production Macs and PCs, yes GarageBand is an excellent tool for working out ideas. The soft synths are excellent. I prefer the B3 and Clav emulations over the Rhodes, but the Rhodes is very good. The guitar sims are excellent as well. If I have a complaint about GarageBand is that it uses up a lot of resources. I have G4 DP 800Mhz and things get real slow with 10 - 12 tracks, (some soft synths, some not). With Protools TDM on the same machine I regularaly do 60 to 80 tracks without issue. I'm sure GB with a G5 will do fine. Just don't under estimate the power you'll need for this application.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

From someone who has both full production Macs and PCs, yes GarageBand is an excellent tool for working out ideas. The soft synths are excellent. I prefer the B3 and Clav emulations over the Rhodes, but the Rhodes is very good. The guitar sims are excellent as well. If I have a complaint about GarageBand is that it uses up a lot of resources. I have G4 DP 800Mhz and things get real slow with 10 - 12 tracks, (some soft synths, some not). With Protools TDM on the same machine I regularaly do 60 to 80 tracks without issue. I'm sure GB with a G5 will do fine. Just don't under estimate the power you'll need for this application.

Busch.

Thanks, Busch. That's helpful.

How is it in a live setting if you're just using it to play one or two organ/EP sounds from a USB controller?

Archived