Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You People! You've got me thinking about buying a Mac now...!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'll probably find that you want both. I"m definitely a Mac guy but I've got the obligatory PC that I bought years ago to run ACID. It still has that duty though Live may kill that soon. Gigasampler, Reason and maybe the Nord Modular editor could take over on the my PC.

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Originally posted by robmix:

You'll probably find that you want both. I"m definitely a Mac guy but I've got the obligatory PC that I bought years ago to run ACID. It still has that duty though Live may kill that soon. Gigasampler, Reason and maybe the Nord Modular editor could take over on the my PC.

Best of both worlds! :thu:

It's funny how we easily accept a different OS for every keyboard we buy, but we get so riled up over Mac vs. PC...

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Oh, believe me, every time I turn the damn PC on I hate it. But it's necessary for my huge ACID library so I put up with it. You're right though, different OS's on synths never really bother me but I've seen mega debates on these forums about who's keyboard kick's ass over everyone elses.

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Originally posted by robmix:

Oh, believe me, every time I turn the damn PC on I hate it. But it's necessary for my huge ACID library so I put up with it.

Get a Mac (and Soundtrack) and you can use ALL your huge ACID library no problemo.

I have about 30 ACID CDs which I copied onto a firewire drive and have them ALL loaded and indexed into my Soundtrack library, plus the 4 gigs of royalty free loops that came with Soundtrack.

Works like a dream.

I have to say that the user-friendliness of i-Tunes has got me wondering whether my next computer someday should be a Mac.

What won me over is the following: I had a download problem with a song, and was ready to download it again and pay another $0.99 when iTunes essentially cautioned me that I was about to pay for a song twice and it directed me to a menu command that would give me a second chance without spending another 99 cents.

Now that got my attention!

Ben

Don't confuse iTunes with professional usage. I use both Macs and PCs daily, and they're just tools. Buy the hardware to run the software, not the other way around. If you feel DP or Logic is the right DAW, get a Mac. otherwise, use a PC. Keep either one tuned and any problems you ahve will be minimized, but neither platform is without its flaws.

And iTunes is useful if you play to sequenced backing tracks (I do,) but otherwise, who gives a shit in the professional domain? There are lots of MP3 players out there, and iTunes also runs on the PC.

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Originally posted by Dasher:

Don't confuse iTunes with professional usage. I use both Macs and PCs daily, and they're just tools. Buy the hardware to run the software, not the other way around.

And iTunes is useful if you play to sequenced backing tracks (I do,) but otherwise, who gives a shit in the professional domain? There are lots of MP3 players out there, and iTunes also runs on the PC.

Dasher

Thanks for the additional insights. I was assuming that the great design of iTunes was representative of the design smarts in Mac software and OS, but I probably carried it too far. At any rate, I use Cubase SX for Windows and I probably won't be switching anytime soon. But it's always nice to pipe-dream! I am impressed with the user friendliness of iTunes and wish I saw it in other PC applications. But then again, I'm running iTunes in a Windows machine, so your point is well-taken!

Ben

Originally posted by Geoff Grace:

Hmm...

Okay, I guess I'll take the plunge. Why all the :mad: faces?

Best,

Geoff

:eek:

That was probably just the single malt talking.

:(

You people! You've got me thinking about Scotch whiskey now!

:confused:

:D

FWIW (not much, this Mac has been problematic since day one)

All I do on my MDD G4 - dual 1.25G, 2G RAM, 120G system disk, 80G data disk is music: downloads of software updates for the various music apps - DP, iTunes, a bunch of VSTis and plugs, plus the apps themselves.

iTunes, when I select three or four songs in a row to play parts of, will bring the machine DOWN. (You must restart you Mac error, whatever that is defined as. Changing patches on my NI 4 sometimes does the same thing after 3 or 4 patch changes. DP willcrash for no reason during a paste.

There is nothing wrong with the software, or the hardware, if you believe the vendors. Therefore, of course, the machine really isn't crashing, it's all my imagination, I guess...

OTOH, my PCs occasionally go down, but I just reboot and they're fine for another month!

Plus i miss having a right mouse button on the G4 - it's SO handy!

The problem is, I like DP, or rather, I DON'T like the other DAW apps I've tested in the PC world.

And the error messages I get, and crash logs, seem to be of no help unless I were to buy the Apple Extended Warranty, and then Apple assures me they will not be responsible for any non-Apple software.

So buy a Mac at your peril. At least if a PC goes south it doesn't cost half as much to reair/replace.

If only MOTU would code DP for the PC as well... :cry:

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

All I do on my MDD G4 - dual 1.25G, 2G RAM, 120G system disk, 80G data disk is music: downloads of software updates for the various music apps - DP, iTunes, a bunch of VSTis and plugs, plus the apps themselves. :cry:

Dasher

Are you using OS9 or OSX??? And which version???

FWIW (not much, this Mac has been problematic since day one)

All I do on my MDD G4 - dual 1.25G, 2G RAM, 120G system disk, 80G data disk is music: downloads of software updates for the various music apps - DP, iTunes, a bunch of VSTis and plugs, plus the apps themselves.

Dasher

I have a MDD G4 - Dual 867, runs very well. I presume you run OSX. Are you running 10.3 Panther? Have you repaired permissions? Do you use a Disc Utility like Norton Systemworks or DiskWarrior?

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

(snip)

Plus i miss having a right mouse button on the G4 - it's SO handy!

(snip)

Dasher, you don't have to do without the right mouse button on your Mac G4. Simply buy a USB mouse (e.g. Logitech) that has the buttons you want, then install it/it's driver and you should have full function in pretty much all the apps you need.

Personally, I use a Logitech cordless optical mouse with my dual G5 - it works very well - all the buttons and wheel function "normally" (i.e. as on a PC). Through the system preferences, you can assign the buttons/wheel to pretty much any useful function you can think of.

Cheers,

:DTR

You need to restart your computer, is that what you mean? Sounds like a kernel panic. Do you get this message in four languages and a dark screen?

In most of these cases it's about bad RAM. Take all the extra RAM out and try again. A Mac shouldn't crash just running iTunes and some VSTi's.

You can trace the culprit, if it's the forementioned panic, by starting up Console (utilities) and find the panic.log. You'll see loads of unix geek language and somewhere in between it says: waiting for dependencies, blablabla, or loadable modules with dependencies, blablabla. The blablabla is the culprit. Could be other hardware.

And yes, a panic is a dead serious crash.

Other things, don't use Norton Systemworks on OS X, nothing but trouble. DiskWarrior is the stuff.

And the Mac equivalent of the right mouse button is control-click.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

Archived