Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bose speakers

i'm thinking of upgrading my portable live sound to the bose 802 system... does anyone have references that they can give me regarding the system.... for example, can i run the speakers through a power amp or should I or do i have to use their controller... thanks..

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We use bose systems in a few of our college campus facilities, and I can honestly say that they sound awesome! You definately need the controller though. And for live band applications, you will also need the sub. But, I would agree, for constant transporting, I would go with the Mackie system. For a stationary system though, you can't beat the Bose. We had a local sound company come in to bid one of our projects, and made this statement: "No lows......it must be Bose." HA! I am still laughing at that one! He tried to sell us SONICS!!!!!! Needless to say, he was never aloud back on our campus! Good luck.

totally freudian! Yes, the bose systems are wonderful for stationary multimedia applications. If you have time to tweak the room and the system, they are very nice and relatively reliable. You still have to replace those surrounds every few years if they're not kept in a cool, dry environment. adam

studioman adam

[][][][][][][][][][][][]

"uh........OK?"

Just want to correct a little mis-information here. The 802's have not had foam surrounds for some years now. The surround issue was one that was problamatic for many manufacturers quite some number of years ago. If you know much about reconing speakers you are very aware of this issue. The current 802's usecloth surrounds. The foam issue would only be an issue if you are buying used. It is very easy to check for. Spin off the retaining ring on the ports and remove the grille and check for cloth or foam. If foam, then pass on them. And yes use the controller.

And why do you have to use the "controller"? Because it is not physically possible to get real bass response out of 4" speakers in a plastic box. There is some other voodoo going on in there too. Why don't you buy a box that has the drivers right to begin with, and make your like easier? The Bose do sound good, in a home, which was what the intended purpose for Bose 901's were. Then they just turned the box around backwards, so that all the drivers faced forwards, and put them in a plastic box. Use subs!!

[quote]Originally posted by Steve Smith: [b]Sorry, BOSE outside the house sucks. the JBl EON is cheap and sounds good.... go to a PRO AUDIO retailer, avoid the music store for PA. Sorry all Steve[/b][/quote] Yes. But avoid the original Eon speakers (Gray plastic housing) at all costs! They were designed for speech, not music. Very mid rangy. Yuck! Now the G2's, that's an entirely different story. They had to catch up to Mackie (which they did, sound-wise), and they threw in some nice bells and whistles to grab the consumers attention; ie. the onboard mixer. The Mackie's are wonderful as well. The 802's are WAY overpriced for what they are. You'd be hard pressed to buy an unpowered 802, without the processor, for the same money as the powered Mackie's, which need no processor. The processor tailors the EQ properly for the Bose system, and protects the speakers from undo amounts of bass, which will fry them in a second. I have a processor from a set of 402's. I plug it in my solid state electric guitar amp (No controls on the box, just in and out.) and it never fails to improve whatever settings I'm using on the amp. I love MAGIC!!! ------------------ Neil [b]Reality[/b]: [i]A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.[/i]

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived