Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

LOGICal help needed

paully

:confused:

Purchased Logic Audio 6, and have some questions. 1) Default window only shows 16 midi channels to be used. On Unitor8, that fills just 1(of 8) available ports. Each channel can be assigned a port, but there are only 16 channels shown. How do you expand to at least 32 total channels (another 16 to port 2 would be nice)?

2) Has anyone got a clue how to import Standard Midi Files written on a different platform, particularly Atari (TOS-IBM) using C-lab Creator. The Mac OSX just laughs at me on attempt.

Thanks, Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2) Logic no longer will import Atari Creator files? Maybe you need one of the higher versions of Logic to do that, but I've always seen the option to import a Creator file directly (since Logic was Creator), not even needing to export as Standard MIDI.

1) I find Logic to be the most natural working environment you can find, but this is a case where you have to adapt your thinking a little bit to get to that point. The way Logic's set up, instead of putting all your available ports in the Arrange window, you go into the Environment window and enter all your equipment: all your synths, FX, whatever, and assign the correct name and MIDI port to each of them. Then, all of these instruments will be present in the Arrange window. Then you save the file as a default template. This way, you can start up each time with a setup that's specific to your equipment, and not have to worry about starting from scratch and being faced with a rack of arbitrary MIDI ports.

On the other hand, if you need to simply add a blank MIDI port, go to Functions->Track->Create and assign the correct MIDI port to the new track. Just because it shows 16 channels in the default song doesn't mean that you only have 16 available, that's just what they chose to display in the default window. You can still assign all available ports, you can even assign channels you don't have, they just won't do anything.

:wave:

Dementia13 and Steadyb: Thanks so much for quick info. I like L Audio so far; a lot like Creator in substance, just WAY more substance. Some years ago I was going to make an upgrade, and then-timely guru Jim Aiken suggested utilities called Apple File Exchange and ResEdit to transfer SMFs to Mac. I wish now that I had copies. Logic is apparently problematic at importing IBM-based files since Emagic married Mac. I'll continue to noodle, as the Logic book is great at telling you what is you can do; just not how to do it.

Thanks again, Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Archived