Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steve Lacy dies

marino

This is almost too much to bear, what's with all those great musicians passing away at once?

Sorry to bring more bad news... :(

I've just been told that soprano saxophone great Steve Lacy died about 5 days ago. I'm not sure about his popularity in the States (despite being a great American musician), but in Europe he was loved by jazz fans. An innovator and virtuoso, who *also* played from the heart, and a curious, adventurous musician who took many challenges and turns, facing every new musical direction with intelligence and musicality. He was at ease both on free-form improvisation *and* on the most intricate changes - his playing on Monk tunes was particularly mind-boggling.

I've always loved Steve's playing, and he was a wonderful human being too. I wasn't aware that he was sick - in fact, he toured and recorded with a close friend of mine a few months ago.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah -- I did the jazz show on the community radio station last night, went to pick up the show listings and saw an obituary for Steve Lacy.

He was just here at McGill earlier in the year, giving an open workshop/rehearsal and a talk (which I missed). I heard the talk was amazing, but I'm still glad to have seen a master at work. He was frail when I saw him but he commanded such respect from his colleagues.

RIP Steve.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

May he rest in peace
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

We don't determine music,

The music determines us;

We only follow it

To the end of our life:

Then it goes on without us.

It begs to be born and,

Wants to go its own way,

We just make it up and,

Then we let it out.

Music speaks for itself,

And needs no explanation

Or justification:

Either it is alive, or it is not.

--Steve Lacy

Nice post, Stoo. I didn't know him personally. but always enjoyed him music. As much as I respect Ray Charles, he we 73 when he died, and had a long, fruitful life. Steve was just getting started...

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Originally posted by Dasher:

As much as I respect Ray Charles, he we 73 when he died, and had a long, fruitful life. Steve was just getting started...

Dasher - Steve Lacy was 70 years old.

Much too soon to check out, anyway...

Archived