Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kruzweil PC2X, Digital Out: 48 kHz

Fozz

According to page B-2 of the Kurzweil PC2 Musician's guide, it says that the digital output sample rate is 48 kHz. I sent a note to Kurzweil and they confirmed it.

Since CDs are recorded at 44.1, I guess one needs to do one of the following to integrate the PC2x with the other studio equipment:

1. use the analog out and a digital to analog converter to get 44.1 kHz,
  2. use the 48 kHz digital out and a sample rate converter.

Question

For those who have a PC2x, or some other keyboard with a digital output, which approach do you take?

Thanks,

Bill

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on the recieving devices. They should be able to get the word clock from the Kurz, as opposed to an internal word clock.

All CD's are 44.1, regardless of the instruments. It's somewhat of a non-issue.

Unless the receiving device does sample rate conversion from 48 khz to 44.1 khz, I was thinking that it, the receiving device, doesn't have a say in the matter. Given that the Kurzweil runs at 48 khz, then doesn't that imply that the receiving device, the recorder for example, will have to get a 48 khz word clock signal from the Kurzweil, and therefore is forced to run at 48 khz?

For me the issue seems to be, which of the two interface techniques listed above should one use. And maybe the answer is, pick the one that sounds the best with the gear that one has at hand.

Thanks,

Bill

I would think going out analog is your best bet, assuming you have decent quality AD convertors coming in. Sample rate conversion is always a challenge and generally not recommended unless you have no other options.

For what it's worth, I tried to digitally connect many different hardware synths in my studio but without the ability to clock then externally, it's preety much hopeless. The only exception that I've found is Roland. I successfully brought connected the XV-5050 and V-Synth via S/PDIF into my Protools system and I can detect no clicks or pops. Some things, like CD, DAT players can be connected digitally without syncing clocks. Maybe Roland is doing something similar.

Busch.

Busch,

Its too bad that one has to go through the Kurzweil DA converter, but the analog route is the way I have been leaning for the reasons you suggest.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks,

Bill

Archived