Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SoundForge vs. Wavelab,CoolEdit and Audition. which do you prefer?

pygmallion

Just a rather general question out there.

I've been using SoundForge for a few years, but am wondering if there are any benefits to using WaveLab/Cooledit/Audition?? or are they generally the same?

I've never given it much thought, but I would like to know what many of you prefer.

Oh yeah... Sound Designer doesn't count, because I only have a PC(see below)

Note: (not that I have anything against Mac's, I used to be an avid Mac user untill Steve Jobs pulled the Clone Licenses from Power Computing back in the 90's)

edit: added respect for Cooledit and Audition, thanks for reminding me Michael ;)

-pygmallion

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently using Wavelab 4.0 and will probably upgrade to 5.0. I did use Sound Forge when it first came out but abandonded it when SF delayed on upgrading it to support 24-bit files.

Audio Montage is terrific. I bring in 24-bit WAVs from Protools on the Mac. I can place them in the Montage and work outplacement and fades. You can add VST/DX effects universally and some can be placed on a pre/clip basis. I run the meta normalizer which goes through all the clips along with any processing, and then does an RMS (rather than the more common peak) normalization so that levels of the clips are consistent. The results are not unlike what a mastering engineer will do. CD Wizard does all of the pauses and spacing for CD creation. Then just write the CD. With the Izotope Ozone DX plugin (not included in WL) you have all the tools to create a great sounding CD.

Wavelab 5.0 brings in surround, DVD-A, etc.

Wavelab is a great tool. There's nothing close to it on the Mac.

Busch.

've been a SoundForge user since very earlier versions... still using it (7.0). Very Happy with it.

I've never been happy with Steinberg's programs.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Director de Ventas, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus Audio Electronics

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I have been using Cool Edit Pro and think that it's a neat program; I love the grafic interface, so well laid out, and all the editing possibilities it gives (like Eq, adding effecs, etc), but I guess that many of them are present also in SoundForge. All in all, they are both good programs and -in the end- it boils down to how familiar you are with them, to get the most out of them and the possibilities they have to offer.
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by burningbusch:

I run the meta normalizer which goes through all the clips along with any processing, and then does an RMS (rather than the more common peak) normalization so that levels of the clips are consistent. The results are not unlike what a mastering engineer will do.

Busch.

The meta normalizer and meta leveler are one of the best features in Wavelab not currently found in Sound Forge. I use it a lot too and IMO is indispensable.

I suppose application has a lot to do with what you like to use.

I used to use Cool Edit Pro a lot. I don't think there is anything faster for editing drum loops and similar material. I think I used something like selecting the loop and then three or four keystrokes to get perfectly cut, zero crossing loops. It's been a while since I've have to do that.

Like I said, I did use Sound Forge but dropped it when they seemed to have abandonded it after ACID took off. I did try some of the later version demos and found that, like the early versions, it was much slower than the other editors when working with large files. Even basic things like copying and cutting of data took much longer. It's as though SF was doing real-time destructive editing, where the other programs are doing non-destructive until the file is saved. Maybe I just didn't have something set right in preferences or maybe this has improved/fixed in later versions. I did like working in SF and always found its layout and operation to be very efficient and intuitive.

It seems that now with 5.0, Wavelab has a real edge if cutting CDs is one of your primary uses. You can even cut DVD-As with it, which is pretty cool. I will say that in Bob Katz's Mastering book, Wavelab was the only one of these "entry level" applications (Mac or PC) he recommended for professional mastering.

Busch.

I haven't tried SoundForge and Wavelab, but have used a few audio editing programs over the years, and I find CoolEdit to be very intuitive, and easy to use. You can pretty much figure out how to use it without even reading the manual or help file. Even the multi-track version, CoolEdit Pro, was easy to use. I thought it was very well-designed.

I have Adobe's Audition 1.5, and with the addition of Discwelder Bronze for burning into 5.1, and Sonic's Record Now program, there's not much that I can't do on my computer. AA 1.5 is a very comprehensive program, meaning you can do many things with Audition, and it works like a charm on my computer. With the addition of Sony's Screenblast, I can also put together music video's which I think is very cool. Recently, I've been looking into Audition's Loopology section, and like it a lot. I have a lot of midi sound modules, and can use them with Loopology to make my own loops and sounds. Wavelabs looked nice too, but a lot more money, so I stuck with Audition and bought the upgrade to 1.5 and I'm very glad I did.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Archived