Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is playing a Motif ES8?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yamaha does endorsement deals with stars, and for these big names to openly appear with a Motif ES 8 would most likely be such a deal.

None the less , the Motif ES 8 is what the well-dressed keyboardist is using today so for the major leaguers to perform with the same keyboard I own only shows our mutual good taste... :cool:

D...

Good eyes! I caught those shows 2 and got 2 thinkN same thing.

Have read some real conflicting reports on motif..especially as relates to ease of sequencing... have read the key action and the drums are superior. still not convinced things i read were posted by people with pro experience and attitudes.

I posted a new post tonight u may want to keep an eye on!

Originally posted by musicworx4u:

Have read some real conflicting reports on motif..especially as relates to ease of sequencing... have read the key action and the drums are superior. still not convinced things i read were posted by people with pro experience and attitudes.

Just because someone happens to dislike certain aspects of an insrument that a lot of "pros" use, doesn't mean that he is not a "pro".

To be fair, I've seen more Tritons on stage on TV than I have Motifs. Just thought I'd let you know. Both Korg and Yamaha do endorsement deals with players. I know of one with Yamaha who plays on TV regularly, but needs to hide his Korg racks away while the Yamaha stuff is out for everyone to see. I'm sure the opposite is true as well.

My personal opinion: I like the sounds coming from the ES, in particular the rhodes and piano stuff. Some stuff is weak IMO, such as the horns and strings. I don't like the sequencer, the menu system, and much of the interface.

As a long time Korg user who recently switched to an ES8 I must throw in my opinion here.Once I overcame my Korg interface familiarity I actually find the Motif quicker and more logical to work on ,even without the touchscreen.

The power of the sequencer in the Motif crushes any Korg I ever worked on.Especially once you you start piling on the insert effects and your mixes sound like you actually multitracked the whole thing.Just my humble Triton vs. Motif opinion.

I guess any comment from me would have to be taken with a grain of salt, but this is my own personal opinion.

The sequencer on the Motif ES, is hands down the fastest sequencer I have ever used. The speed at which you can get around, select sounds and record your ideas down is incredible. Honestly the last time I had this kind of experience with a built-in sequencer would have to be the ol' Ensoniq TS, VFX style sequencers.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

The Korg sound may stand out a bit more on stage but that may not be what you want for recording. At first I did not care for the menu system or sequencer on the ES but the more I use it, the more I like it. I can really see why electronic and hip hop artists like using the Motif. You can create sections or looped patterns, string them together, and mute or un-mute individual channels when putting together a song. So you can create your verse and course, then the intro, bridge and ending, then arrange everything. Once you do that you can work on builds and fades. Once I got used to the sequencer it seems like the E-mu Command Station or a lot of pattern based software sequencers. Just remember to back up to a HD or memory card.

If I could modify my Motif ES with a Roland or Korg joystick it would be my dream machine. :)

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

If I could modify my Motif ES with a Roland or Korg joystick it would be my dream machine. :)

Robert

Amen! :D
Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

Archived