Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My new favorite Pianist/Keyboardist is...

tarkus

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Tarkus

If you like this kind of cuban piano, check out the Valdez family - unbelievable piano players, a true legend in Cuba's music. Bebo Valdez is the father, with a roots approach of cuban styles, a true milestone of the past. Chucho Valdez is his son. He has a prodigious technique -the best of any non-classical pianist, as far as i know- and he is the leader of a great group named "Irakere" (i saw them live... what a blast!). Chucho's son is also a pianst. I do not remember his name, but he is equally talented, and more jazz oriented than his father.

Regards

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

One of my new favorites is Michel Petrucciani, who recently passed on. I am a huge Steve Grossman fan and was exposed to Petrucciani for the first time recently when I purchased "Steve Grossman with Michel Petrucciani" (Dreyfus, 2000). I am really enjoying his playing. He has such a big romantic sound (especially for such a small guy). I've been listening to other samples on the website and think I have to pick up at least Concerts Inedits:

http://www.dreyfusrecords.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/album.php?U+scstore+vrrp2451ff90b390+d=75&a=16&l=0

I am going to resist the temptation to list any others and just stick with ONE new favorite!

Chaso

All those Cuban guys are ridiculous. Ruben Gonzalez, Chucho Valdes... crazy technique. A really good CD/DVD is Calle 54, featuring Michel Camilo, Chucho and Bebo Valdes, Jerry Gonzalez, Tito Puente and others. I really enjoy Chucho's playing on Roy Hargrove's Habana record.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Originally posted by Chaso DeChaso:

Man, I love Camilo, but haven't heard most of these others - so I have to give all these other guys a try. Thanks for the listening ideas!

I too like Michel Camilo. I have two or three of his CDs. It is tempting to say that what he does at the keyboard is impossible. He is amazing. (His bass player is also fantastic.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Hey Tarkus

If you can find any of Chucho's "cuban recordings" with Irakere buy them! I don't know if that's possible -old vinyls- but you got to try it, it's worth it. Chucho's latest recordings for BLUE NOTE are almost everywhere (for sure in N.Y.C. Tower Records!), so you can find something iteresting. He plays with a classic trio plus a percussionist (if i'm not wrong) and he's fantastic. I thing that this recordings are live, witch, i thing, gives to the performance strenght.

Enjoy

Yannis

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

[i too like Michel Camilo. I have two or three of his CDs. It is tempting to say that what he does at the keyboard is impossible. He is amazing. (His bass player is also fantastic.)[/QB]

He's also exceptional arranger, too. I wish he'd tour west of the Mississippi some time.

Hi Tarkus

I don't remember the names of those recordings, but they're few. One or two, if i'm right. Try them out, there both excellent music with drive and fervor.

Good luck

Yannis

Archived