Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live and studio setup for new project, help pls

Faruk

Hello, guys.

Recently I got signed for a new project that got me involved into recording an album and consequent tour. Music will be electronica/mish mash (I'm not sure this is the right word) best described by music made by Moloko, Royksopp, Dzihan & Kamien, Duft Punk, etc. (I know this is very diverse, but that is description they gave me :rolleyes: ). I have to renew a setup for studio recording and live performances on a tight budget (1500$ = around 1250 euros). I allready have NordLead 2, brand new laptop with Centrino technology and one of those Yamahas CS2X that serves as controler.

I know that playing large and extensive keyboard parts will not be involved. I am required to provide MIDI sequencing (2-3 simultanious arps), loop playing and I am sure that laptop will provide this. I also have to provide some vocoding/vocal morphing capabilities, some kind of VA instrument and ocasional small and simple electric Piano/acoustic instrument parts.

I now that solution would probably be to buy Triton/Motif/Fantom workstation, but these babies are way out of my project budget.

I was thinking about obtaining some another VA in rack like Virus rack Classic/Novation A-K-KS rack/Alesis ION-Micron which would give me vocal morphing/vocoder and some new VA power for arps/leads/pads. With laptop for playing back samples/sequencing MIDI/loops I would have rounded setup. On top of this I would probably need some 4x4 MIDI interface. Second version would be to buy cheapest rack from above list (A station) and one or two KORG EA1 groove boxes for arps. At the end I was thinking about buying cheap/small line mixer (Behringer UX16) and V-amp 2 to finish signal out for live setup. I know this all sounds like very lame considerations and that all can be solved with one powerfull unit, but this is my budget.

Please help round things up :D

P.S. Please also consider that European prices are higher then US

Faruk

Fat But Fast

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, lets drop the professional label and just think about what will get you by. A used Fantom or Motif will give you the keyboard parts and sequencing. An E-mu XL-7 can cover a LOT of looping and synth parts. The Novation KS4, KS5 or KSR will supply a sound very different than your Nord at a good price. And while some may debate calling an XL-7 or KS4 professional, they make their way onto many electronic recordings. In fact, if you need to control multiple sequenced loops in a live setting the E-mu may be the best place to start. It is very easy to program patterns of 16 simultaneous loops that drive both internal and external sounds and it has dedicated buttons to mute and un-mute those individual parts.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

Originally posted by Dave the Rave:

Are you for real Faruk? I mean, a professional gig with a budget of $1500?? That's pathetic.

If it were me, I'd tell them to go stick their project where the sun don't shine.

$1500 will get you a Virus Rack XL and a 4x4 midi interface if you're lucky.

IMO, you should RUN away (don't walk) from this one....

:DTR

I think some explanation is in order. After the war in my country music scene is all about pop version of folk music. These guys earn a lot and got all of the best equipment high budgets. It is great thing to even have any project of any other kind of music started :mad: . 1500$ is really big money for my country if avarage sallary is around 330$ per month :freak: . Sorry for long explanation but 1500$ is what I got for application I described above. New budget will be available as project grows

Jabbe, of course I will use laptop a lot. Now I have to round things up with budget I have. Can you guys please describe complete setup (r just type a list) that I can get with my existing equipment and budget with regard to my needs above.

Thanks a lot again.

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Archived