Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two Question about the YAMAHA EXPANSION BOARDS and Midi Host Cable Noise

NYKeys

I currently have an S30 and plan on getting an es soon

1) Do the Expansion boards sound different when plugged into other yamaha synths?

2) Noticed an anoying Hum almost like a ground loop when using cakewalk 9 pro audio. I know it is the Host cable because it goes away as soon as I unplug it.

I have a delta 44 sound card.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to correct it?

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by b3player:

I currently have an S30 and plan on getting an es soon

1) Do the Expansion boards sound different when plugged into other yamaha synths?

2) Noticed an anoying Hum almost like a ground loop when using cakewalk 9 pro audio. I know it is the Host cable because it goes away as soon as I unplug it.

I have a delta 44 sound card.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to correct it?

Does the Delta 44 have balanced inputs? If so, plug a direct box between the synth and the Delta 44 inputs. You will need two if you like to run stereo. Make sure the ones you get have ground lift.

You can get perfectly adequate mathbox ones for about $20 each or you can go for active ones. Behringer make some that are adequate but lack headroom when running off batteries. If going active I would look for a rack mounted system.

The matchbox ones are passive as they contain transformers but transformers do add a little coloring of the audio which may or may not be desirable. Some people like the effect.

some people have taken the boards out of an/dx 200 boxes and report they sound better.

i'm sure it all depends on the quality of the converters used in the synth.

i would expect that you will hear a difference for the better if moving your plug in boards from an s30 to a motif es.

The Delta 44 has 4 balaced in's

I have tried this with both the Balanced and unbalanced moster cables, with the same result. This does not happen all the time only every now and then.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Archived