Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

P250 ... just picked it up

Dave Horne

I've spent about an hour with it and overall quite happy. I wish the Rhodes 'hard attack' layer didn't kick in so quickly, but I'm sure I can edit it. The acoustic piano sounds very nice and I know I will not get tired of it on jobs.

I'm only listening through headphones as when I use this on jobs, it will be going through a sound system. From what I've heard from the built in system, I could use the piano as it is for small rooms.

I'm busy reading the manual now and working through the book. I miss my A80, but the action on this is very nice as well.

I know there have been many comment re the weight, but it's not that heavy. I might take that back after the flight case arrives and after I move it myself to a job. All things considered, this piano will simplify my equipment setup on jobs.

I can hear the sample points for the grand, but on a job, they will go unnoticed. I prefer the grand sample on my Yamaha GranTouch 1 (more sample points), but the sample in the P250 will not tire my ears.

... back to the manual ...

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CONGRATUALTIONS DAVE!

Glad you took the plunge. I think you will be very satisfied with the P-250, as I am...so far I have not tired of it at all.

I agree with you on the "hard-attack" of the Rhodes. If you figure a way to edit that out, please let me know! I'll research it myself.

Best of luck to you!

Tom from NY

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Hope you like it even more as you get used to it.

I agonized over buying the P250 vs the S90 last year. The variety of voices and "tweakability" of the S90 made more sense to me, so I bought it and have been extremely happy. But, the S90 piano doesn't compare to the P250.

I'll be interested in hearing what you think about the P250 over the next few months. Showroom demos are useful, but it doesn't compare to 'living' with a keyboard.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

More thoughts re the P250.

I stated that I thought the P250 had less sample points for the GrandPiano sound than my GranTouch 1 piano - it might actually have the same number of sample points as my GranTouch 1 piano, but it still sounds different, though not bad. IMO, the GranTouch 1 sample is the best I've ever heard and the P250 comes close, but it is still different. This will take me some time to adjust; I've played my GT1 on a daily basis for about six years and have gotten spoiled by the sound.

Anologman, I spent some time with the Rhodes piano (E.Piano1) and what I did was to edit the TouchSense (Voice Edit) setting to get the hard attack from coming in so quickly. The TouchSense setting was 64, I lowered that to 55 or so. I'll play with that some more to see how I like it. The final test always will come on an actual job.

Jazz+ re The Mellow Piano - I'll get back to you, I went to bed at 4:30AM after spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to save a 'Performance' (a patch or program to the rest of us) to a particular location and I'm still a bit fried. That took quite some time - is that me or the manual, I don't know. I would love to have a manual that is written like, OK, this is what we're gonna do - first .....

I've added more reverb to the GrandPiano sound. The default reverb setting (depth) was 10, I made that 30. There are just general things I'm playing with at the moment.

One nice feature of the piano is the construction. The thickness of the piano is greater in the center part. The area under the keyboard (where your knees go) is less thick than the center part. If you use a double X type stand, your knees don't bang against the bottom of the keyboard. I haven't open up the piano yet so I don't know why they did that; it could have been designed that way for the speakers ... or maybe they took pity on the knees of the sitting keyboard player. Perhaps Mike can add his thoughts here.

I've found a quick way to navigate the XG bank - press the A +/- at the same time and you can go through the banks of sounds quickly. (This is from memory and may in fact be in the book, I don't know.)

Also, my P250 came with ___FOUR___ owner's manuals - English, Spanish, French and German.

If anyone wants a copy of the the non-English ones, let me know. If you resell it, I'll never speak to you again - this would be for your own use. Fair enough?

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Jazz+:

How do you like the "Mellow Piano" patch?

The Mellow Piano patch starts out as the Grand Piano patch and they just EQ it to make the piano sound like there's a heavy wool blanket over it. It's just a subdued Grand Piano. All of the variations within the same sound set use the same samples - Yamaha just EQs it or adds Chorus or layers it with itself and detunes it ... whatever.

If you make changes to the 'factory' settings and you want to change them back, you only have to press the D +/- buttons at the same time when you are in the editing mode to return that particular editing parameter to its 'original' state.

(Of course you can do that globally, but then you lose all of your settings.)

Originally posted by Ohtar:

Dave, congrats with your new Toy :)

Thanks! I just spent a few hours playing with a bass player and my new piano. It is interesting how things sound different in a 'job' setting than in a 'home / solo' setting. The little things that I was annoyed with (the hard attack of the 'Rhodes' (EP1) were less objectionable when playing with someone else.

I assume Yamaha tests these keyboards solo as well as in a group setting (?). Any way, I"m still in the learning phase, but have figured out most of the basic editing stuff.

Drive down to Noord Brabant and you can tets drive it yourself. ... going biking now, beautiful day

well kinda cloudy here right now, but have lot of fun biking. Hope we can arrange a dutch forum meeting as you said, then you can bring the P250 maybe. Have no drivers license yet (no money, cause i am a poor student ;) ).

Rudy

Hey Dave,

Be sure to learn how to use the little built in Midi recorder. While it can't compare to a dedicated sequencer, it is quite handy for things that would normally be "forgotten". I've already written about 6 tunes on it!

Big T from NY

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Originally posted by analogman1:

Hey Dave,

Be sure to learn how to use the little built in Midi recorder. While it can't compare to a dedicated sequencer, it is quite handy for things that would normally be "forgotten". I've already written about 6 tunes on it!

Big T from NY

I'm working through the owner's manual one page at a time now and will spend more time with the 'recorder'. I will probably use that to practice with. Yamaha has certainly gotten their money's worth from the basic Clavinova set up. I own a CLP-611 that I'm trying to sell and it is set up basically the same way as the P250 - 10 or 12 basic sounds accessed the same way. It seems they keep repackaging the same formula.

I'm not 100% happy with my piano, but I'm never 100% happy with anything. Bottom line for me - I will move less equipment to jobs. Selling my sampler, my Roland 2080, my K MicroPiano has simplified my set up. I only wish I would have bought the P version available five years ago or so. (I spent over $400 for the CD of Wm. Coakley's Perfect Piano and I was never happy with the combination of that sample and my Akai S5000 sampler. I only bought that sampler to use with that sample. I should have stopped by here in the past.)

While the P250 is not perfect, it will fill my needs on jobs and save me from moving additional rack cases. Everything in life is a trade off and I wish I would have thinned out my equipment sooner. Overall, I'm glad I bought the P250. Now, if Yamaha would hire me as a consultant, I would improve on their design.

Originally posted by analogman1:

Hey Dave,

Big T from NY

What really bugs me about the sequencer is that there is no real looping feature. The repeat function always as a small pause between repeats, which is very annoying, if one tries to develop a phrase/lick or make a drum loop. If someone knows a way around this, please post it here. kpop

Originally posted by kpop:

What really bugs me about the sequencer is that there is no real looping feature. The repeat function always as a small pause between repeats, which is very annoying, if one tries to develop a phrase/lick or make a drum loop. If someone knows a way around this, please post it here. kpop[/QB]

I agree and that makes it of no use to me. It's also one of the least intuitive onboard sequencers I have tried.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Harry spends his time teaching jazz piano online and playing solo piano gigs.

Originally posted by Guest User:

So, you just picked it up, huh?

Does your back hurt yet?

Ba-dump-bump. :D

You said it!

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and also helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Harry spends his time teaching jazz piano online and playing solo piano gigs.

Archived