Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Studio Monitors in $800-$1400 Range

Thurmo

Hello-

I've narrowed down my search for a couple of monitors in the $800 to $1400 range (I know that I can get two Mackie HR824's for $1140, so the range can come down a little). I'm also looking at the new KRK V8 V Series 2, and only the Alesis ProLinear 820 DSP \ Wharfedale Pro Diamond Series as an afterthought. I've heard a few negative things about the Mackies, but of course, there's always going to be somebody that doesn't like something. I know that it has a lot to do with personal taste, but I'd still appreciate much any offerings any of you guys might have concerning this. Thanks

"Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are beautiful."

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be so quick to relegate the Wharfdales to the "afterthought" category. I've checked out the Diamond 8.1 and 8.2 at a local dealer a number of times and was VERY impressed.

Do they compare to my ADAMs? No. Could I mix on them and be happy with the results? Absolutely!

I'm not a fan of the Mackies - the low-end is weird; very hyped and not accurate to my ears. YMMV

ADAM does make monitors in your price range. I've got the 3A's (which are quite a bit more) but I know the smaller ADAMs do a great job as well.

I also know that ADAM has some all new small monitors in that price range... maybe Dave Bryce can help me out here? ;)

Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

Originally posted by Valkyrie Sound:

I also know that ADAM has some all new small monitors in that price range... maybe Dave Bryce can help me out here? ;)

I can try... :)

There is a new model of ADAMs that sell for $1450 a pair. They're called The Apple, and they're due in the US around the end of July.

For more info, check out ADAM\'s web site

dB

ADAM Audio USA

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I'm looking at the ADAM P11As and I don't know what else. I've heard the Mackies and think they sound pretty good, and have not heard the new Event actives. Maybe they're good, I dunno.

There are also the passive ANF-10. I've read on the DUC someone heard them and liked them better than P11. They're $700 a pair. Haven't heard them, but plan on listening once I have the cash, I am seriously considering them.

Originally posted by ilovedrums:

There are also the passive ANF-10. I've read on the DUC someone heard them and liked them better than P11. They're $700 a pair. Haven't heard them, but plan on listening once I have the cash, I am seriously considering them.

They shipped the first batch of those in Europe last week. Call Amptec in Brussels - they can probably steer you towards a set you can hear.

dB

ADAM Audio USA

Thanks! That's very nice from you, Dave. But maybe I'll go to a huge shop in Germany, because they have a lot of stock and sell different brands. But I'm anyway severely inclined to buy Adam's, anyway...

Oh, and it would be great to see more people like you on forums. Whenever I read your posts about your products, you never sound like a ' seller ' (really no pun intended), you sound like you're passionate and willing to share about what you honestly think is a great piece of audio gear.

Thanks Guys-

I will definitely check out the ADAM's - I earlier thought that they might be completely out of my price range, but we'll see. Since I can't now find a Kawai MP9500, because they just all of a sudden discontinued it - I might just put forth a little more on my monitors and buy that Yam P250 a little later - Even though I don't particularly like the slightly heavier key action, guess I'll just try to get used to it. Maybe it'll help me play a little better on my acoustic. Oh, one other thing - What your take on this?: I read on another forum where a guitar pro said that he always uses these really small cheaper monitors even to the finished product. He said that most folks play the cd's on cheaper stereos anyway, so their not going to hear all the details. But for me - I need something to inspire me. If a better piece of equipment makes my stuff sound better when I'm doing it, I feel better about it. Lastly, this seems to be a very good forum where everyone is genuinely helping one another. I think that's pretty rare.

"Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are beautiful."

Valkyrie & Dave-

I just found some ADAM The APPLE monitors at Sweetwater. They're selling for $725 each. But my question is this: These things are small - even compared to my present Event Project Studio 6's. So, in that light, am I going to experience a lot better performance? - Which is what I'm definitely trying to do. And - in your opinion, how much better would the Wharfedale Diamond's be than my Events?

I would wait for the Event 8's. The Adams are very pricey. If you have $$ to burn , go right ahead

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Originally posted by Thurmo:

Valkyrie & Dave-

I just found some ADAM The APPLE monitors at Sweetwater. They're selling for $725 each. But my question is this: These things are small - even compared to my present Event Project Studio 6's. So, in that light, am I going to experience a lot better performance?

Well, you'll certainly get a different kind of performance. It depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. The ADAMs are certainly more precise than the Events; however, that's not necessarily what everyone is looking for.

BTW - the Apple isn't due to ship until around the end of the summer...

And - in your opinion, how much better would the Wharfedale Diamond's be than my Events?
I don't know - I've never worked with the Wharfedales, but I've heard great things about them.

Monitors (and microphones) really come down to one thing and one thing only - individual taste. Anyone who tells you differently is trying to sell you something.

dB

ADAM Audio USA

Originally posted by GregC:

The Adams are very pricey. If you have $$ to burn , go right ahead

That's one way of looking at it.

Another point of view is that it can be reasonably argued that your monitors are the most important piece of equipment in your studio. They are the tool by which you gauge pretty much every sound you make and probably every sound you record, as well as the thing you use to evaluate the work of others.

Given that, I do not believe that it's difficult to justify spending as much on them as you would on, say, one synth.

To each his/her own. :)

dB

ADAM Audio USA

"Given that, I do not believe that it's difficult to justify spending as much on them as you would on, say, one synth."

Hmmm, that's interesting. When you say "synth",

I think a Triton Extreme

What do you think ?

[70's Songwriter]

fwiw...I just bought a pair of Tannoy Active Reveals and a Tannoy 10" active sub...I really like what I'm hearing. I do hope to upgrade to ADAMS at some point in the future. I've been recording a lot of my new CD listening through ADAM S2-As, thanks to Rader Ranch spoiling me, so I have a good point of reference there.

I've heard good things about the Event TR series also if budget is an issue.

S-b, my point is to get dave to respond to the

cost of a synth.

$500 or $3000 ?

Makes a difference, right ?

[70's Songwriter]

S-b, my point is to get dave to respond to the

cost of a synth.

$500 or $3000 ?

Makes a difference, right ?

Yep.

For the most part, synths are usually only around $500 when they're used (hardware ones, anyway ;) ).

I tend to think of a synth A) in terms of buying one new, and b) as a minimum of a $1500-$2000 purchase, frequently more - my most recent synth acquisition was a MOTIF ES8, which sells for more than $2k.

dB

I would wait for the Event 8's. The Adams are very pricey. If you have $$ to burn , go right ahead

Very pricey compared to what? Quality doesn't come cheap, and you usually get what you pay for.

Your comments suggest you seem to have a personal bias against ADAM speakers. (maybe I'm wrong) Do you own a pair of ADAMs?

I mean, if you like the Events, then why not just recommend the Event 8s, and spare us the personal attack on the ADAMs.

For the record, I don't own Events or ADAMs, and would like to hear comments about speakers from the people who actually own the speakers they're talking about.

hey S-b, no need to over hypothesize. Its ridiculous to suggest a bias towards ADAM speakers which are awesome. The only bias I have is towards overspending my hard earned $.

This is strictly a discussion of Value. My experience is that speakers have a higher street retail markup versus a Korg synthesizer. Thats more money out of your pocket, s-b.

And I would be suprised to hear someone explain to me that the technology and complexity in ADAM or any $1500 speaker is equal to Motif ES.

I would completely agree it is a shame to have a great keyboard workstation and a cheap amp or 20 watt PC monitors. I can understand everyone has a budget, too.

My bottom line is that if the ADAM monitors are 50 % more expensive than the Event 8's I would expect about 50 % more sound quality,endurance and features. A basic bang for the buck approach.

And speaker selection is highly subjective, as subjective as selecting a Yamaha, Roland, Korg keyboard.

[70's Songwriter]

Although I have heard the Adams, Genelecs, Mackies and others in that price range - they all sound good; I really like Dynaudio monitors - although they might not be in your price range, might be worth a look also. Only problem is, not too many retailers carry them.

Live 6, Battery 3, Project 5, Atmosphere, Albino 2, Minimoog V, Oddity, Nord 2X, Proteus 2K

***I can't play for sh*t, but I can sequence like a muthaf*ck*r***

And I would be suprised to hear someone explain to me that the technology and complexity in ADAM or any $1500 speaker is equal to Motif ES.

An ADAM S series monitor uses a special type of double woofer, made from Nomex and coated with Kevlar, with a Nomex "sandwich" layer between the two cones. It also houses multiple discrete Class AB power amplifiers, unlike the less-expensive chip-based amplifiers in most other powered monitors. Last, but by no stretch of the imagination, it's main advantage is a specially designed hand-built folded ribbon tweeter that moves air differently than every other driver in every other professional studio monitor made by everyone else.

Whether or not that makes them "equal to a MOTIF ES" is up to the individual listener, just as it is is up to the individual listener to decide whether a MOTIF ES is worth more than an older workstation, or a less expensive one made by another manufacturer. I believe this is the case - that's why I own one! :cool:

BTW - I bought the ES pretty much exclusively because of the way it sounds and feels - the bells and whistles don't do that much for me.

My bottom line is that if the ADAM monitors are 50 % more expensive than the Event 8's I would expect about 50 % more sound quality,endurance and features. A basic bang for the buck approach.
That is something that only you can decide. If you're interested in that, you probably need to put a set of ADAMs next to a set of Events, and decide if the difference is A) something you like, and B) worth it to you.

I promise you this much - you will hear a very big difference. Whether that difference appeals to you is really your call.

It seems to be pretty commonly held among those who have tried the ADAMs that they give quite an accurate picture of what is happening sonically - noticeably moreso than many other monitors. I have been told over and over again by many different people from all different levels of the industry that mixes done on ADAMs happen much faster and easeir than with other monitors, and that mixes done on ADAMs translate unbelievably well. To them, the extra money appears to have been well-spent. Personally, I agree - I want to hear eveyr sound my equipmwent and I make as accurately as possible - I'm not a good enough engineer to work with speakers that make me have to run back and forth checking my mixes on the car system, the wife's boom-box, my stereo, etc. I need something that I can trust, and the ADAMs fill that role perfectly for me. That's what got me into this in the first place.

Hey, there's gotta be some reason that so many top-name engineers and studios are now using them - it can't all be smoke and mirrors, can it? It certainly isn't endorsement freebies or special pricing - we don't do that.

And speaker selection is highly subjective, as subjective as selecting a Yamaha, Roland, Korg keyboard.
There is no doubt that this is true.

Bottom line - if, after auditioning to a pair of ADAMs (or any other "top-shelf" monitor) next to a much less expensive pair of monitors, you don't feel that they're worth the extra money, you should definitely get the less expensive monitors. As I mentioned above (and have said repeatedly), I believe there is no right or wrong when it comes to monitors - only that which works (or doesn't work) for you.

Sorry if this came off at all like a sales pitch - he asked, I answered. :)

dB

ADAM Audio USA

You might get that between a $100 and $200 speaker, but as the price rises, expect the Law of Diminishing Returns to rear up.

I read a review about the new Events Actives - I can't remember what they're called, but something about "Super Precision", and the guy was practically frothing at the mouth about them. So those might be worth checking out.

I've heard a bunch of the ADAMs monitors and have been very impressed by their detail in the midrange and high-frequency in particular (and the low end as one gets into the nicer monitors).

And finally, the Mackie 824s don't suck, either - I feel like I could do a good mix on those. Those are the ones I've heard.

There are a lot of good monitors out there, so you have to pick what feels right to you.

Yose guys crack me up! Even with all of the static going on here, it's still a good discussion - I've learned a lot. And let me just add something to this. I think that you can draw a comparison with the human body. Yes, the heart is one of the most important organs in the body, but without the liver there is no body function. And to expand on this, if I needed an organ transplant, wouldn't I want the most perfect match that I could find (And this would include any main organ of the body) - So that the overall performance of the body would be so much more better off? To go further, wouldn't any of those organ be worth about as much as any of the others? I hesitate drawing this comparison, but what the heck? I just hope that it doesn't open up a whole nother can of worms. Anyway, there's my two cents.

Also, now I'm torn between getting the Mackie HR824's or Adam The Apple's. In reference to my old Event PS6's, I'm not very impressed with them. That's why I'm looking to bring out my piano, strings, and hornes, etc. When people hear the piano with these Events, they usually make a comment like, "The piano kinda sounds tin cannish." I guess what it's going to come down to for me is: Are the smaller ADAM's going to have as full and rich a sound as I'm looking for? As much as the Mackies? Thanks.

Archived