Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need Software Sample Help...

LGK_Dude

First off, Im not sure if this is the best forum for this post, so please feel free to move it if needed.

I'm looking to invest in an "intermediate sample based system," which will hopefully sound substantially better then my current Roland setup (JV-1010 w/ Orchestral expansion card) and leave plenty of room to grow into a semiprofessional system (dont want another "get me by for school" setup). I'm looking to drop the money into a G5 desktop with Logic Pro 6 and its software sampler, which will hopefully supply enough power to run almost anything, though the next question is, what samples to buy?

Any advice would be appreciated on this topic, for I dont really have a clue on how to get started in my research. I feel its time to switch from being a "MIDI Man" into the ability to produce a professional sounding film scoring demo, and sample based systems seem to be the choice of industry professionals.

To listen to what I have already produced with my limited system and to give you a better idea on how I need to advance my quality of audio, please visit my Demo Site: http://www.avartists.com

Once again, thanks in advance for your advice and help. Its people helping people that makes this world a better place to live, and I truly appreciate your time!

Jon

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon,

I went to your site, so maybe I have more of an idea of what you are asking. Maybe not. Let me try. Do you already own a mac? Do you already know how to use logic (that seemed to be implied on your web-site)?

There are several apps for sequencing and recording and they all have thier merits. I think pro tools and logic are mentioned more in interviews, but there are pros using every diiferent app out there (mac & pc). Your going to have to find your app and then learn it inside and out.

Your also going to want a sampler like kontact, giga, sampletank, etc.

I'll tell you what. Why don't you write us about what equipment you now have and what you specificly want to do with it. From your web-site it looks like you have a number of musical interests. Let us know what you want to record. When we know more, I'm sure the opinions will be "a plenty."

David

Hello Dave!

Yes, I do have a number of musical interests, but they all have one application: writing for media. I'm currently using this setup (and you'll soon see why I need an upgrade!)

Apple ibook (600mhz G3)

Cubase VST/32 5.1 in OS9

2 JV-1010's w/ orchestral card, vocal card, and world card

WX5 Wind Synth (I'm a sax player) w/ Yamaha VL70m

Roland V-Drums (bro plays drums) w/ expanded TD-10

Various older synths provided by my dad (Wavestation, Quadrasynth, M1, etc)

We do not currently own any software sampler (afraid my poor G3 could not handle them), or any real audio interface, thus are looking into upgrading our system this summer. I'm thinking of going with a G5 desktop running Logic pro, which comes with its own sampler. The next question is, what samples to buy!

Since I'm getting more and more media gigs which call for orchestral scores, I will obviously need to cover that base first. Through my own research, I've heard good things about the East West series, as well as the Gariton personal orchestra (sp?) Thats not to say I do not need pop/rock sounds as well, as a media composer must be able to handle all bases. Right now, my stuff just sounds too fake to be used in anything more then student films. As I finish out my schooling, that needs to change so I can hopefully jump right into the professional world.

Hope this helps, and I thank you for your willingness to help!!! I hope to one day return the favor.

Jon

If you keep looking and asking you'll find opinions for all the different librarys. The Garritan is great place to start because of the $249 list. When you go with a pro library you can't really go wrong. And anyway, you'll be adding to it regularly. As far as meat and potatoes sound go... look at sampletank.

And your going to have to give yourself some time to learn logic. So the G5, logic, and personal orchestra may be a great start.

Oh yeah, don't forget a good set of studio monitors. Very important.

David

Originally posted by DKeenum:

If you keep looking and asking you'll find opinions for all the different librarys. The Garritan is great place to start because of the $249 list. When you go with a pro library you can't really go wrong. And anyway, you'll be adding to it regularly. As far as meat and potatoes sound go... look at sampletank.

And your going to have to give yourself some time to learn logic. So the G5, logic, and personal orchestra may be a great start.

Oh yeah, don't forget a good set of studio monitors. Very important.

Thanks for the words of wisdom, you make some great points. As for "a good set of studio monitors," what do you recommend? I'm currently doing all my work through Audio Technica headphones (which I guess is not the best way to be working?)

Archived