Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

keyboards on "Thriller" Mj and QJ?

dontae

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kcbass:

Don't know what keys were used, but did you know at the beginning of 'Beat It' those are sampled lead pipes. Kcbass

I think that was either a Fairlight or Synclavier.

As for other synths, I'd guess lots of DX-7 and MiniMoog, perhaps some CS-80 too.

One more time...

The opening notes of "Beat It" were created on the Synclavier. The Synclavier demo album (on clear vinyl) included not only that sound, but that seven-note motif. It's quite possible Quincy Jones "sampled" the album.

I'd be curious to know who created the demo album for New England Digital. I've lost my copy along the way.

k.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I remember reading a little about the Michael Jackson Synclavier system.

The article mentioned that the system that Michael had, and the system that Janet had was so full-blown that it actually created considerable financial pressure on New England Digital back when they were built.

There's a lot of Jupiter 8 on that record, especially on the title track. I thought the album predated the DX-7. PYT uses an Emulator, I believe, and I thought the Beat It chimes were done with a Synergy or some other additive synth. It's in the liner notes, or search this board as this topic comes up once a year or so. Some great Rhodes on that album, too - Greg Phillingances has such a great feel on "Lady In My Life."

Archived