Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

can Yamaha PSR keyboards be used as MIDI controllers????

Monkeden

i want to buy a keyboard to use with my mac-based music programs and also to play independently.

does anyone know if the PSR models can be used as MIDI controller as a way to control sound modules on another device?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started that way a few years ago, too.

It was nearly impossible to turn off Local MIDI echo, so what went out came back in, and I had to unplug the audio output. Many other non-standard MIDI implementation issues too, stuff that would make it easier for a beginner and harder to use as just a MIDI controller. The internal sounds and patterns weren't very useable, either.

I am now happy with an M-Audio controller. No muss, no fuss. All sounds in the computer.

thanks for answering guys. my budget is in the lower hundreds for now (out of a job..) but i'm planning to use Arturia storm studio and garageband with the SFX machine built in.

i'm running a mac so all the Cakewalk and Fruity Loops are out of my reach. only other items are Finale, Reason, or Digital Performer, but for now the programs I have are doing quite well.

thanks for answering guys. my budget is in the lower hundreds for now (out of a job..) but i'm planning to use Arturia storm studio and garageband with the SFX machine built in.

i'm running a mac so all the Cakewalk and Fruity Loops are out of my reach. only other items are Finale, Reason, or Digital Performer, but for now the programs I have are doing quite well.

If I were you, I would look at buying a used "real" synth with that budget of a couple hundred dollars rather than a PSR keyboard. You may get more mileage out of a budget synth like an Alesis QS6, Roland XP50, Yamaha S03, or even something older like a Yamaha DX7 or Roland D50.

You would get more of a pro piece of gear that has potential on its own, rather than a home keyboard that wears out after a couple of months...

Regards,

Eric

There are a lot of inexpensive MIDI controllers out there... unless you really want the PSR built-in sounds, you could get a Midi controller for around 100- 150 usd.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Archived